DjangoBooks.com

Santa's Bag had a Sweet Epiphone for me... HELP!

pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
OMG
I just got a unbelievable 1948 Epiphone Zenith. In 50 years of playing I'm so Blessed to have this instrument to express my Love of Music on. It's opened doors to Music in my head that have been just OUT OF REACH for a long time. One of my Jazz Guitar Buddies said it's louder then my Gypsy Guitars. It's as if someone put a sustain pedal on it.

Anyway I'd love some advice from you Archtop Lovers and Players. Please advise best choice of Strings and Pickup and tone, volume controls. If anyone is ready to pass on an Old DeArmond or knows something equivalent let me know.

Hope there's one even Better in Santa's Bag for each of You.

Can anyone Rotate This Picture? THANKS

:peace:
Buco

Comments

• Wow! Very nice. Thomastik-Infeld seems to be popular among guys I know.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited December 2014 Posts: 936
    Thanks guys
    BTW
    The picture loaded fine after clicking on it. :laugh:
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Great guitar! Most Archtop players use bronze strings. There is a reissue of the famed De Armond pickup, which is being generally well received, and at a much lower price than buying a vintage one.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @RobMacKillop do you have any info or experience with the...
    There is a reissue of the famed De Armond pickup, which is being generally well received, and at a much lower price than buying a vintage one.

My search was not very enlightening.

• Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, not reissue, but this: swingmasterpickups.com/index.php?id=102
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    I have an old Epiphone Triumph from 1956 and it's quite heavy guitar and seems to favor quite heavy strings also. I really like Thomastik-Infeld Bebop 14s (the best strings ever!) and John Pearse phosphor bronze 13s. Right now I have an lollar gold-foil pickup installed and I found the best string balance using TI bebop 13s. With 14s the bass strings were just too heavy and with phosphor bronze the sound was too muddy or something. I didn't have any problem with the string balance with phosphor bronzes because the gold-foil pickup has adjustable magnet poles. So you just have to test it with different strings and find the best compromise for both acoustic and electric playing! I would go for TI Bebop 12s or 13s on your case.
    pickitjohn
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    by the way if Michael can't help you finding old Dearmond pickup I would contact www.archtop.com. Now and then you can also find dearmonds on ebay..
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Congratulations on your Epiphone! I am a huge fan of old Epiphone archtops. The DeArmond is a great choice, but another one I used with success is the Krivo Djangobucker, I used one on a late 40's Blackstone on numerous gigs with a swing quintet before switching to an ALD La Brune with Ischell pickup. I've found archtops vary considerably in terms of which strings work best. I typically use 13s, but sometimes have to try different varieties-nickel, 80/20 bronze or phosphor bronze to see which works best. I have three old archtops (two are Epiphones), they all sound quite different and each sounds better to me with a different type of string. Check out Newtone strings, they offer several strings with a round core which I like.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I have a 1946 Epiphone Triumph. This is a great guitar that is every bit as loud as my Dupont Gypsy guitars. I use a Dearmond pickup to amplify it and have tried lots of strings on it. TI 13's work best. 12's do not put enough tension on the top to get the proper volume and 14's are too stiff. I prefer flatwounds (TI Swing series), but if you like a brighter sound go with the TI roundwounds (TI Bebop series). They are the best roundwound strings I have ever used. Bronze strings will require the top of the line Dearmond picup (1100) and will be very bright. For unamplified "cut" in a strictly rhythm role, Bronze strings are best. For single note playing, go with pure nickel strings. As MarkA said, every guitar likes different strings so experiment. The Krivo Djangobucker is a fine pickup at an affordable price. I have one and will try it on my Epiphone the next time I take it to the gig.

Congrats on the new axe and enjoy the process of dialing it in.

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
    Thanks all, I appreciate all the positive comments and shared knowledge and suggestions. I am totally amazed with this Guitar I put on some 13 Bronze D'Addario and it SING'S.
    @Stringswinger... Marc I'd love to know how the Krivo Djangobucker works out, I was kinda leaning in that direction. It will be great to have the hands on test with another Old Epiphone.
    I just finished making two Tortoise Shell Picks with a Slab someone gifted me over the Holidays (Old Jewelry Box Slab). Wow it really has a wonderful Sound on the 1948 Epiphone Zenith.

Santa really floored me this Year

Pictures of Picks and Dental Lab Grinding Machine to Tool Material

Works Great