DjangoBooks.com

Interesting guitar on ebay

woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
At least it looks like it to me, I am somewhat tempted to bid on it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JWC-Gypsy-Jazz-Guitar-selmer-replica-/291576177921?hash=item43e34b6501
I know folks here have said these are good guitars - but the round hole? Does that make much of a difference other than not looking so cool?

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    That's a decent price if it stays there but with shipping from the UK i would not want it to go too much higher.
    Selmer made a handful of these, this one being based on ser #441. The round hole doesn't take away from Selmer tone. It has shorter scale, 650mm and 12 frets to the body.
    Great guitar I'm sure, I doubt it's gonna stay at this price though.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I don't know how they can ship to the US for £15.14. Import duties look correct at that price, and you could be liable for US sales tax.
  • cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet
    I have a JWC guitar (Modele model with oval hole) and it is pretty nice and the Hiscox case is great. According to their website that model was £1225.
    http://www.jwc-guitars.com/order-a-guitar/guitars-in-stock/

It seems to me JWC guitars are not very well known so the price might not go up too much. They are pretty decent so you might end up with a pretty good guitar for the money.

Any guitar built outside US/Canada would be subject to import duty, taxes, brokerage fees as a percentage of the cost. That is the case for any item, whether it's from ebay or not. From the original maker those fees would be calculated at full price. So you'd have to figure that into your cost in any case.
    Kevin
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Yeah that shipping price seems really low to me too. Looking at the specs again, I didn't notice it has a cedar top, as opposed to spruce. I am not a big fan of cedar, since most all cedar top guitars I have heard have a tone too mellow for me. The one exception is my friends Lowden, but that is simply an exceptional guitar in every way imaginable.
    This particular box is long scale at least, and good to know that the round hole won't hurt the tone. It would almost seem like round would be kind of a compromise in sound between a the D and the oval - maybe. Interesting to me that no other styles of guitars that I know of use the oval holes
    At my last guitar lesson, which is held in a guitar store, I played a Gitane 250M, the maple one. My teacher owns the identical guitar and playing them back to back, the one for sale was incredibly loud, way louder than his guitar, maybe the loudest acoustic guitar I have ever heard. It was amazing to both of us the difference in the two instruments. The tone was really bright, too, almost too much but I am assuming that this was from the brand new strings. I will have to play it again at the next lesson to see if it still seems like such a cannon.

But back to this JWC I would not be surprised if there are no bids for it. This GJ market is really different than what I am used to for sure.

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Regarding the GJ guitar market, I've seen some decent guitars end without bids on eBay. It's all in the timing of your sale, if there is a buyer at the precise moment you put it up for auction, you're in luck. Otherwise it's hit or miss. It's such a niche market, especially in the U.S.
  • At that price I doubt there would be insurance on shipping
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    The Gitane 250M was my first GJ guitar and got me through before I knew anything about GJ, just wanted that "sound". I found it a ringy when I started to take GJ a bit more seriously but might think ok now that I have learned a few things, that was my initial impression though. I bought a Dupont with a cedar top and absolutely love it.
  • KreesusKreesus Cleveland JWC Primajazz Orchestra
    This particular guitar was very recently sold by JWC. The s/n is 419. It's been shown in their site's "guitars in stock" section. It is possible that the owner has not liked the cedar top...?
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    In an email he told me this: "I've only owned it for a few months from new from JWC but it could've been built a year or so ago. I'm too used to ordinary acoustic guitars so that's why I'm letting this one go."
    So that could be it, but spending the kind of money he did and letting it go a few months later, well who knows?