DjangoBooks.com

HELP ! One more Tchavalo chord is baffling me. what is it ?

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 561
Hi again,

I've hit yet another chord snag in this Tchavalo solo over J'attendrai.

The chord in question starts at 1:43 and he comps over it for about 4 seconds. I was CERTAIN (based what I could SEE) that he was playing the following -

1st string - 11th fret
2nd string - 8th fret
3rd string - 10th fret
4th string - 11th fret

But when I LISTEN, I swear I can hear him playing the 10th fret of the 2nd string (an A), but when I look at his fingers, that simply makes NO sense to my eyes.

Please check out the video and tell me what you think.

Once again, the chord is at 1:43 - 1:46

Thanks!

Anthony

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    I m watching on my phone so quality is not so good but it sounds and looks like he s only playing the top two strings A and Eb and muting the other strings to get a stronger sound
  • Amir_GAmir_G New
    edited June 2016 Posts: 11
    Yes, Denis is right. 4th finger on the 11th fret (first string), 2nd finger on the 10th fret (2nd string)
  • looks and sounds to me he is playing G on S2 and Eb on S1 F8 and F11 respectively
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Amir_GAmir_G New
    Jazzaferri,
    It's definitely an A on the 2nd string. But I can understand the confusion: He's pressing the 8th fret on the 2nd string with his 1st finger. But he also press the 10th fret with his 2nd finger on the same string.
  • my ears aren't hearing that
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Mine are ;-) . The A comes out very very prominently!
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    YEs it's the A that I hear, but what I see tells a different story. Like why is he pressing (or looks like he's pressing) the 8th fret of the second string with his first finger ?
  • Amir_GAmir_G New
    edited June 2016 Posts: 11
    As I already said, I'm sure it's an A. Don't take my word for it. But you should definitely take Denis's word :)
    And also, just trust your ears (especially when you're so certain about what you're hearing).

Why is he pressing the 8th string with his first finger? I don't think there's a "good" explanation. It's just a matter of personal preferences (or even instincts). I would have probably use my 2nd and 3rd finger - and mute the strings with my first finger.
    Anyway, I think that two possible explanations are:
    1. When playing a chord, sometimes it's just easier to let all fingers touch the fingerboard
    2. Maybe it has something to do with the next shape he's playing:
    1st string - 10th fret, 4th finger
    2nd string - 8th fret, 1st finger
    3rd string - 9th fret, 2nd finger
    And then muting the lower string with the 3rd finger.

So he's keeping the 4th finger on the 1st string, the 1st finger on the 2nd string. 3rd finger still being used for muting. So only the second finger moves (one string lower).

I think it's possible that he practiced the combination of these two shapes in advance. He's the kind of player who use many preconceived ideas.

Hope it helps!
  • yep, I am seeing it now and hearing it now that I can stop motion it and listen closely weird way of fingering but definitely A and Eb