DjangoBooks.com

Album Collection/What are your favorite Albums

Hi all, I am working on my gypsy jazz album collection and was interested to hear what your favorite albums are in this genre.

Comments

• db5db5 New
    Bireli - Move
    Anything by Waso
    Our Gypsy Rhapsody by Pigalle 44
    Yochka - Moreno
    The 2nd Disc of the Zigeuner series with Schnuckenack Rheinhardt on the cover (Amazing).
    The Bousquet album if you can get it...

For non-traditional stuff I also like the sound of the mando mixed in this style - Robin Nolan's Rendezvous at the Nightery and Stephane Wrembel's Gypsy Rumble are terrific albums with Grisman playing some.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,730
    The ones that come to mind which I think are outstanding are:
    Adrien and Gonzalo, Classico
    Rocky Gresset, self titled album
    Yorgui Loeffler, Bouncin' around
    Les Doigts De L'homme, 1910

1910 is especially impressive for not only the solo performances but with overall creativity, arrangements and imagination. Really one of the monumental achievements in this genre.

PS plus it's showcasing the entire band as a whole as opposed to the more common jazz individualism.
    Barkonator
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    It's a shame that Waso's records haven't been reissued on cd!

One of my favourites at the moment is the reissue double cd of Fapy Lafertin and Le Jazz' albums from 1994 and 1996.

Our Gypsy Rhapsody is indeed an enjoyable cd. I listened to it just a few days ago.

Another one I have just rediscovered is Christian Escoudé's Catalogne.
  • b7everb7ever New
    I really appreciate Nitcho Reinhardt's Une Histoire and the Matelo Ferret Tziganskaia + Django waltzes compilation to name a couple.

This is great guys! I appreciate your ideas.
    Ampsmasher
  • Other than the Django post-war sides:

Angelo Debarre ~ Moreno Trio ‎– Romano Baschepen
    Antoine Boyer - Sita
    Fapy Lafertin and Le Jazz reissue
    Bireli Lagrene's Gypsy Project records
    LDDLH - 1910...but I'm really coming around to Mumbo Jumbo in a big way
    Most of Gonzalo's stuff floors me, but the Classico and New Hot Club of America records are currently big for me.

• pral16pral16 New
    Jo Privat - Manouche Partie
    Raphael Fays - Sans Domicile Fixe
    Bamboula Ferret and Fapy Lafertin - Ou Welto Risella
    Tchavolo Schmitt - Miri Familia
    Boulou and Elios Ferre - Gypsy Dreams
    Fapy Lafertin - Fleur de Lavande

• husyhusy Seattle✭✭✭
    Gonzalo & Adrien - Classico
    (I'm really hoping these two will record another one together)

Angelo Debarre - Live in Paris

Les Doigts de l'Homme - 1910
    (I discovered this after a bit of prejudice I had due to their more modern and super fast self-titled album. This one is must have. Some of their arrangements on this album are just brilliant - e.g. Indifference)

Rosenberg Trio - Roots
    (more expressive and less shreddy than their average, which I love about this album)

Rosenberg Trio - Seresta
    (surprised nobody mentioned this so far)

For a slightly different flavor:
    Joscho Stephan & Helmut Eisel - Gypsy Meets Klezmer

• ronzo4600ronzo4600 PNWNew Eimer's, Lebreton & Selmer
    edited October 2016 Posts: 44
    Gypsy Guitars - Serge Camps, Angelo and Franck Anastasio; Titi Demeter; Samy Daussat - In Time; Oscar Alleman - Swing Guitar Masterpieces; Eddie Lang & Joe Venuti - The New York Sessions; Jo Privat & Mattelot Ferret - Manouche Partie; Stephane Grappelli - Live At The Blue Note; Baro Ferret - Swing Valses; Tcha Limberger - Les Violons De Bruxelles; Bireli - Blue Eyes; Sarane & Mattelot Ferret - Tribute To Django; Tchavalo - Alors? Voila?; and, absolutely anything Fapy has ever recorded including this little gem that to my knowledge was never commercially available.

• b7everb7ever New
    another absolute favorite of mine is the Jon Larsen and Pascal de Loutchek album Russian Guitars. A mix of classical and gypsy, very smooth and some real nice chords.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Lately I've been listening to Tchavolo's Seven Gypsy Nights. It has a lot of dulcimer, which caught me off guard, but is interesting.