DjangoBooks.com

Cigano vs Paris Swing

Not sure if this discussion has already happened. Just wondering if anyone around here has had a chance to try both. What is the top arch like on these guitars? Thoughts?
I have already spoken here before about the aria that I have been working on, and for the moment it's ok. However, like a lot of people have suggested, it's missing something. It's a little "un-focused", if that makes sense, and you have to work a bit to get the 'gypsy sound'.
So, looking at switching it up in the future and probably unloading the Aria but I am still in a position where I cannot spend too much.

Comments

• t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    My Cigano is great for what I paid. The better my technique gets, the better it sounds! As far as Asian imports go, I have/had the Cigano GJ-0, a Paris Swing D hole, a Gitane 250M and a Manouche Strings Moreno. They all have their pros and cons regarding playability, tone, and volume.

That said, I'm guessing most people on these boards (myself included) will tell you to stick with your Aria until you're ready to buy a luthier made GJ guitar. Work on your technique, listen to a lot of different guitars to see what it is you're looking for, put one in your sights and make it a goal to get one.

FWIW, at jams with my Dupont Nomade I regularly hear, "What kind of guitar is that? It sounds great." I paid less than $1500 slightly used. Michael sells them new for $2200.
    Joshl-m
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I owned a Paris Swing petite bouche and own a Cigano GJ-10. The Paris Swing had a great sound, but wasn't very loud. It is also slightly larger than most Selmer copies and I found it slightly uncomfortable to play during a long practice. I like my Cigano and couldn't see parting with it. It has a nice sound, looks good, has nice volume. Does have a little crunch with rhythm play, but can sound a bit muddy. I leave it on the stand for quick access, as well as for weekend trips, etc. The Cigano has a thin neck, so it seems like an electric guitar at times.
    I bought a Dupont MD-100 a couple of years ago and there is a world of difference. The Cigano and Dupont both have satin finishes, but the Dupont has a nice neck shape, great tone for rhythm and lead, and plays and looks like a piece of art.
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    I suppose I should just sit tight until I am ready to go in for something like a Dupont nomad. It's just so hard! I have a luthier built flat top, so I know the difference in sound and feeling that a handmade instrument can make. Trying to find low budget alternatives will probably just leave me frustrated.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    I liked the Paris Swing better than the Cigano, to me it had a much better with the longer scale length. You may also consider an Altamira Oval Hole until you have $2k+ to spend. I think its every bit as good as a newer nomade.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I've played lots of Ciganos and owned a Paris Swing oval hole. The Cigano's good and loud but rough around the edges plus the neck is way too thin.
    The PS had a much better tone and finish, the neck was great and could sound really authentic if played right. Not a cannon but plenty loud for acoustic jammin.

As previously said, I'd recommend to just stick with the Aria until you can afford a Nomade or similar, I once personally witnessed Seb Giniaux make an Aria sound better than everyone else's expensive handmade guitars at a jam so I know it has the tone somewhere inside if you search for it...
    constantineBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Thanks! Yeah, after the initial conversation, I realized everyone was right and I should just stick with the Aria and focus on technique. The room to grow in that area is endless.