DjangoBooks.com

Anyone with experience with Ger Boonstra guitars?

Hello all,

After going through several guitars in the last two months and doing endless research, I am considering maybe purchasing a Ger Boonstra Fapy Lafertin model or another model of his.

However, there aren't many videos online or info about his guitars, so I would appreciate any info and feedback.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

He recently launched a new website so at least we now know he's still committed to building.
    https://www.boonstraguitars.com
    I really like his new tailpiece designs.
    There are quite a few threads on the forum about his guitar but a lot of them confirm how elusive it can be to learn more about them.
    But from what I can remember people who play them, love them.
    geese_com
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • If a luthier dares to put Fapy's name on the guitar model, I'd guess he/she has got Fapy's blessing. :)
    Bucogeese_com
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I know that bith Fapy and Lollo Meier played Boonstras for a while and a friend of mine actually owns one that belonged to Fapy. It's a lovely sounding instrument snd great to play.
    geese_com
    always learning
  • crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
    @geese_com - have you considered a vintage guitar?

Your velocity of acquisition is impressive, you may end up finding the dream instrument in a Favino, Busato, or Selmer - the "last word" in gypsy guitars.
    geese_com
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    crescendo wrote: »
    @geese_com - have you considered a vintage guitar?

Your velocity of acquisition is impressive, you may end up finding the dream instrument in a Favino, Busato, or Selmer - the "last word" in gypsy guitars.

I have not tried a vintage instrument unfortunately. I am afraid they might be well out of my budget. My max budget is probably around $4K, so I am thinking of either a used AJL or custom build Boonstra. I am thinking that I might keep the Dupont Nomade if I do have a Boonstra built.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    You could very likely find an old DiMauro St. Louis Blues for less than $4k.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I don't know where geese_com is from but you can still find many good vintage guitars under $4k in Europe. Di Mauro, Castelluccia, for example, but there are many others as well as many early Duponts (from when Maurice was still making them). But depending on where you are shipping to or from be aware of the CITES regulations.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 1,231
    For under 4gs, you can get one of Craig Bumgarner's guitars made for you:
    http://www.craigbumgarner.com/models/

Very well worth considering.
  • WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New
    I have a Boonstra. It has a fantastic sound, very dry with a loud bark. I bought this guitar on a whim about a year ago and struggled with the chunky neck - having been used to Aylwards for the last 15 years. However, after several wrestling bouts and a sore hand, I now prefer the chunky neck for chord and rhythm playing.
    Fapy is no longer endorsing Boonstra guitars and hasn't sold them for a while. He now has someone else making them.
    I would always recommend a European maker, as I have no real experience of North American luthiers.

I'm sure Micheal has something, half decent, tucked away!

If you need Fapys' contact details PM me.

Will
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    @ Will. Fapy had a bit of an accident with his Boonstra, and doesn't play it as much do to that. The idea that "Fapy is no longer endorsing Boonstra guitars" is not at all accurate. He hasn't sold any personally for a while, but unless he said this directly to you ( as he didn't say it directly to Ger ) I would amend your post. Cheers.