DjangoBooks.com

Looking for samples of dry rhythm with an upstroke

PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
edited April 2018 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 62
I'm trying to work on a particular style of rhythm playing: quiet, dry, with an upstroke. Does anyone know of good examples where one can hear it in isolation, without a solo on top? All the rhythm samples I have collected for emulation are of other flavors. I mean something like what Ghali Hadefi is playing here:

wim

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited April 2018 Posts: 1,454
    Indeed, nice rhythm playing! Hadn't seen that vid before.

It's surprisingly hard to find rhythm tracks from good rhythm players (there are a lot of bad ones out there but I won't name names). I like the rhythm tracks on Gael Rouilhac's channel, maybe check those out and see if it meets your description...?

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Not sure if there is anything here that suits but Dave Kelbie has recorded a few rhythm tracks (with bass) on his 'La Sauce' CD. Scroll to the bottom of the age for samples on Soundcloud. There is also a 'La Sauce 2' available. Here is the link; https://lejazzetal.com/shop/the-sauce-1/
  • PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
    Wim, I think that's it! And thanks for the other pointer, Chris. It's a bit different in style, but I'm a big fan of Dave Kelbie's band's playing with Fapy Lafertin, and it's great to get a better idea of his sound.
    Also, just found this backing track with Ghali Hadefi. Hopefully, there will be more of that at https://www.selmer607school.com when the site goes live.

wimBuco
    Was thinking about the video posted some time ago, made by @Archtop Eddy , he hasn't been around in a while but he sure indebted us by making this video because it's one of the clearest examples of GJ rhythm playing out there. Although even some of the players featured tweaked the way they play, I heard @adrian say his 2/4 aren't so dry any longer (but you sure get the best tone even back then).
    Dennis plays with a subtle upstroke, here:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/11688/ae-video-finding-the-elusive-gyspy-swing-rhythm/p1
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Wow, this is just perfect. Thanks, Buco -- and special thanks to everyone involved in making that video!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey cool Buco, just noticed that Denis is using the velcro trick on that vid but I guess to damp out sympathetic ringing between the bridge and tailpiece.
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    could someone explain "the velcro trick", briefly, thanks, or point me to a post.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,730
    Bones wrote: »
    Hey cool Buco, just noticed that Denis is using the velcro trick on that vid but I guess to damp out sympathetic ringing between the bridge and tailpiece.

You know, about that, I wanted to hear your thoughts further on that so I'll reply to that other post about a newly designed tailpiece...
    AndyW wrote: »
    could someone explain "the velcro trick", briefly, thanks, or point me to a post.

It's said it helps tone down a natural reverb of the guitar, making it a little bit more dry sounding.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    This was good I thought. Very dry.
    wimBuco