DjangoBooks.com

Does anyone have any methods for learning solos note-by-note?

epsdudeepsdude New
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 20
I want to start transcribing Django solos, but as you know, speeds are often blazing fast and difficult to catch. You have to constantly rewind to exact spots on a time stamp and spam pause which is a bit tedious and long-winded with the YouTube video player. Does anyone use any programs or have any specific methods that makes transcribing licks easier? I'd really like to be able to play selections on a loop so I can isolate the sound I'm trying to hear.

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Commercial software but well worth the money:
    https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html
  • tobolektobolek MontrealNew Bumgarner Petite Bouche
    As far as the quality of sound when you use slowing down the song while preserving the pitch I haven't heard better than the Amazing Slow Downer app. I compared it several others including Transcribe and to me ASD is noticably better. Keeps the audio incredibly clear sounding, others will muddy it to some degree and it starts to sound like when you put a flanger effect on the electric guitar. Mobile app doesn't have a ton of features but it does exactly what you need: select a section, slow it down and loop until you get it figured out.
    NewcastleBudDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Have you checked out Soundslice?

https://www.soundslice.com
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Looper for Youtube works pretty well for looping one particular spot. I should probably buy some better software but my laptop is old and I don't want to really buy anything until I upgrade my computer
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    We made the Soundslice notation editor exactly for this purpose. It's intended to be the best tool for transcribing by combining a notation/tab editor with transcription tools such as slowdown and looping. And it's free to use for any YouTube video, and it's all online, with nothing to download.

Lemme know if you have any questions or need help with it — happy to help.
    Adrian
    Pompierwimgeese_comCalebFSU
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    AudioStretch for iOS devices is fantastic. I use it so much I upgraded to the paid version. Includes selection and loop, speed change, even key change. It plays anything you can play in iTunes or mp3s you send yourself in the mail.
  • epsdudeepsdude New
    edited May 2018 Posts: 20
    Thanks for the recommendations Adrian and everyone. I tried out SoundSlice before among other similar tools, but to be honest I know absolutely nothing about musical notation and am completely clueless with such programs. SoundSlice was definitely the coolest though.

I guess more specifically I'm looking for an audio manipulation software with these features in order of most to least importance: ability to slow down selections, loop play, very slightly alter pitch (to correct tuning so I don't have to constantly detune my guitar for different Django pieces), and waveform format. I've used audacity for a long time for general use, but wasn't crazy about it for transcribing due to having to process the audio for every change rather than just adjust a slider. I might still eventually settle for it anyhow cause it's free and I'm a cheap turd. I'm giving Awesome Slow Downer and Sound Surgeon a look now. Mobile apps aren't much of an option for me since my phone is so outdated and isn't supported by most apps anymore.
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    Try transcribe like @Bill Da Costa Williams suggested.

It has all of what you are looking for and has a 30 day free trial. I would highly recommend it.
  • Transcribe does what you are asking. You must have copies of the file your are trying to transcribe on your computer. Soundslice is a great all-in-one that will slow down and help you notate your transcriptions in regular notation and tab. Super easy to use.