DjangoBooks.com

La Pompe, long-short vs short-short

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
in Technique Posts: 380
I wonder what folks think about this; Is it ok to do la pompe with the long chord (without muting it) followed by a very short muted chord? It's certainly easier than muting both chords, especially at really fast tempos, ie. Limehouse. Depending on the tune, I've been doing some tunes at gigs + jam sessions like that and no one seems to mind. But I want to see what others have to say about it. I'll appreciate any thoughts, I've been playing this music for 2 years and am always looking to improve my technique.

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah I think some people do that at fast tempos because it's hard to damp all beats at high speed but if you don't grip too hard when u clamp down it's easier to damp. You really don't need to squeeze very tight. Economy of motion and all that. Yeah too much ringing is a bummer esp. with multiple rhythm guitars. Plus it's kind of the space between the beats that defines the beats in a way and helps it swing IMHO. Otherwise it kind of sounds weird (again IMHO).
  • I use both depending on the feel we are trying to achieve
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,454
    No. Sounds crap.

Mute both chords the same duration, and the same way: by "pumping" the left hand.
    t-bird
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Ya generally, same duration, but there are instances where u can do long short on certain ballads like Manoir De Mes Reves. Has to be done tastefully though
    AndrewUlle
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    edited May 2018 Posts: 264
    I like long-long
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Hemert wrote: »
    I like long-long

Hmmm, is your girlfriend OK with that? What about lang-lang?

Buco
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    I bet lang-lang plays long-long too.
  • roch@rochlockyer.com[email protected] new mexico (current)✭✭
    edited May 2018 Posts: 91
    "La Pompe"
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I think it is hard to judge without hearing what you play when you say long short vs short short.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Rightly or wrongly, I think of long-short as being more of an American or Western swing rhythm (although not in Freddie Green style). La Pompe is usually taught as being not so much a short-short but rather a rake- (or crunch-) short. In other words, beat one is a rapid rake across the strings, followed by a “hit.” In a traditional 30s Hot Club style pompe, the hit is voiced but quickly choked off; many modern players mute beat two. There are more variants than that, as Michael Horowitz’s Gypsy Rhythm book outlines.

For gypsy ballads, I was taught that it is common to play long-short behind the head and short-short behind the solos.
    t-birdAndrewUlle
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles