DjangoBooks.com

Affordable tube amp to emulate Django's Electric Sound with Archtop guitar

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
Hello there! Answers are probably somewhere in the forum but after searching a bit and considering how fast things change I just figured I'd throw it up here :-) Obviously there are clear pickup/amp options for a few thousand bucks but I am wondering what amps if any < $1000 work well with an archtop to get that django electric sound. Thank you in advance ! - Dean

Comments

• Champ?
    constantine
  • dm7b5dm7b5 New Orleans, LA
    +1 for fender excelsior 13 watt all tube w/ 15” speaker. You can find these amps for $300 or so.
    Best of luck!
    constantine
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    dm7b5 wrote: »
    +1 for fender excelsior 13 watt all tube w/ 15” speaker. You can find these amps for $300 or so.
    Best of luck!
    . Hey Dm7b5 - how do you get the signal to the PA on these - microphone only? Thanks

• dm7b5dm7b5 New Orleans, LA
    ey Dm7b5 - how do you get the signal to the PA on these - microphone only? Thanks

@constantine - mic only.
    I don't consider this exactly affordable, $800 new, but Hughes & Kettner TM18/12 TubeMeister is a powerhouse of an amp. I'm a big fan of H&K and this is the one amp I would love to have.
    Switchable between 18, 5 and 1 Watts, two channels, auto adjusting bias, speaker off mode, building in Red Box which is H&K DI box with a built in speaker emulator.
    It's incredible and they sound so good too.
    It's discontinued but there's a few sites that still have them and a few used ones.
    dm7b5constantine
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ronzo4600ronzo4600 PNWNew Eimer's, Lebreton & Selmer
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    thank you!
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I’d say, don’t overthink and overspend. I’m using a new Fender Superchamp, mostly tube, to amplify my Peche a la Mouche. You can go clean, or switch channels and dial in some gain and reverb to fatten everything up.

Sounds great.
    constantine
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    or use an overdrive pedal on what you already own.
    constantine
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault
    edited August 2018 Posts: 123
    I use a new issue Supro Black Magick, just a tad over $1k but nice cleans and it does killer vintage rock tones too. I like the retro look as well, looks good with a GJ guitar.
    constantine