DjangoBooks.com

Short Scale 14 Frets Guitar

I see this topic has been talked about before but I cannot find an answer to my specific question. Does any maker mass produce a short scale 14 fret gypsy jazz guitar? I see some luthiers do but I’m only looking to spend $1,000 more or less. So far it looks like the Gitane D 500 is my best option for a short scale though it is 12 and a 14 frets. Thanks for any suggestions.
Tom

Comments

• TubaphoneTubaphone Kansas Mateos Django
    I had a friend hunting the same thing recently and there simply doesn't seem to be anything out there without going above your price point.

I have always found these videos reassuring that you can get a lot done with 12 frets (a D-500 no less):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=faSBgUKIiHY

https://youtube.com/watch?v=074HbB-JwBc&list=RD074HbB-JwBc&start_radio=1&t=144
    Buco
  • tomdctomdc Hudson Valley New York New
    Thanks for the feedback and those links. The guitar does sound nice, aside from the fantastic playing…wow.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited November 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Yeah I had a D-500. Cool for rhythm but too wet for leads, all the ringing made me nuts. Plus can't reach the high frets on the neck (obviously) very easily. Save ur pennies.
    Thanks for your input, Bones. Is there a factory made short scale you would recommend?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I don't specifically know of any but they may be out there. I made my own. Slightly less chunky neck profile on mine too. That's the other thing about the D-500s at least the one I had. Pretty fat neck.

Again, they are fine for rhythm but not for leads IMHO.
  • TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5
    If you are going to go with a short scale 12 fret and can't afford an Altimira, I would consider the Cigano GJ-15.

I have a GJ-5 and a D-500 and I agree with Bones comments - the D-500 has a thick neck (like a classical guitar) and is very wet sounding on lead, though decent for rhythm.

The GJ-5 has a thinner (but not too thin) neck, a more traditional gypsy jazz sound and is less expensive though it does look and feel like a cheaper guitar. I assume the GJ-15 is similar.

That said, if you are going to play other types of music, I find the GJ-5 a little harsh sounding, whereas the D-500 has a warmer tone.
  • Used ones do come up from time to time. Its how I got my Dupont MDC 20
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited November 2018 Posts: 541
    Thanks, guys, for all the suggestions. I would spring for an Altamira but it looks like they all are 670 scale, no? This will be my first gypsy jazz guitar as I’ve been playing a 636 mm classical for the last 20 years and I’m certain 670 is too large for these old “presidential” fingers.

Yes, Andrew, that would be the perfect one. But it’s a retirement gift from my company and I don’t want to break the bank.

Other thoughts also welcome. Thanks.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah for sure, the short scale is way easier on my old arthritic hands. That combined with the slimmer neck is a big plus.