DjangoBooks.com

Cherokee: Tune of the Month, July '06

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Repertoire Posts: 1,752
Hi all,

I posted the message below over at the HotClub UK forum, but it applies here too...I promise I won't be on permanent leave, but the next month or two might be really busy for me. I'm confident of help, though, since it already began last month! All I ask is that if anyone wants to go for it they choose a tune from the list below. At any rate, here's the original message:

I wonder if anyone is up for making the Tune of the Month a collaborative effort here...at least for the next few months? The summer stretch is busy for me with gigs and though I hope to not fall behind I can't promise anything. So if anyone's interested in helping out, let me know! These are some of the tunes I've had in mind for upcoming TotM posts:

Flèche D'Or
Montagne Ste. Genevieve
Stompin' at Decca
Micro
Si Tu Savais
Viper's Dream
Cherokee
Bouncin' Around
What is This Thing...
Bossa Dorado
Troublant Bolero

If anyone wants to take a crack at it, feel free! I'll be sure to check in, at least.

Best,
Jack.

Comments

• The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    edited June 2006 Posts: 71
    I'm no wiz at this stuff so I cannot offer any real "insight". But I would tip my hat to anyone that would take a crack at "Cherokee".
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I would also vote for Cherokee. I often see Gypsy guitarist play the head in chord meoldy I would love to see anyone'schord head arraingments. Since I am pretty terrible at arrainging those types of things.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Andreas did an impromtu version - actually two versions - at the Django in June masterclass last week. One was bebop, the other gypsy. He demonstrated how to articulate, and imply, the changes while maintaining an improvised line. All I can say is: wow.
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

Let's say [i]Cherokee [/i]it is! Now who's going to take it on? Our lead player copped some of the chord melody stuff from the [url=https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/item--Angelo-DeBarre-and-Serge-Camps-Gypsy-Guitars--debarre_gypsy_guitars.html]Gypsy Guitars[/url] disc; I'll check in and see what he can show me...I think it started something like this, but I'm just guessing, and the fingerings are probably wrong...

---------6---3----------------------------------------------------------
    ---6-8--4---3---6---3--6--3--1-----------------------------------------------
    -7-------5--3----5--2--5--2--1------------------------------------------------
    ------------------6--3--6--3--1-------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's up to youse guys...

Best,
    Jack.
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    Christian Escoude's basic chord melody arrangement of Cherokee can be found in the current issue of Guitarist Acoustic.
    http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... rticle=509
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Is there any way to post that or see it on-line thanks.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • MontereyJacquesMontereyJacques ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011 Posts: 81
    Some more bits and pieces (I should be back on top of the Tune of the Month thing for August; sorry about the half-hearted July...):

A basic lead sheet:
    A-Cherokee.gif

A basic grille:
    cherokee.gif

I usually play something like this:
    A Section:
    Bb6/9 | % | Fm7 Fm7/C| Bb13/B Bb13| Ebmaj7 | Eb6/9 |
    Ab7 | % |Gm7 | % |C9 | % |
    1st ending: Cm7 | G13 |Cm7 |F7 |
    2nd ending; Cm7 |F7 |Bb |Bb |
    (Bars 3 & 4 I'll often end up changing during solos, maybe just sticking with straight Bb7, or Fm to Bb7, or often using a bar of Fm9 and a bar of E9 leading chromatically down to the Eb of bar 5.)

B Section:
    Pretty straightforward, as in the chord chart above, though I sometimes split the two bars of major chords into one bar each of a maj7 and a sixth. One really great thing we ripped off from Angelo is shifting into 3/4 on the bridge of the head. It's on this album if you want to get the feel:

angelo_gypsy_guitars.jpeg

Intro/Outro:
    The intro I play couldn't be simpler-I'm just laying into a Bb chord. (If you want to hear it, we've still got a pretty lame recording of it up on our myspace site) The out changes but it's always simple and definitive...

Sorry again-I'll have more time next month...
    Jack.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Angelo probably ripped the 3/4 bridge thing from Hans'che Weiss and Titi Winterstein