DjangoBooks.com

GJ Fake Book showing chord voicings similar to Robin Nolan's and Paul Meader's Gig Book?

bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
edited January 2020 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 243

Anyone aware of a GJ Fake Book (or resource) that runs through a repertoire of GJ tunes that shows the chord voicings not just the chord names? I'm looking for something similar to Robin Nolan's and Paul Meader's Gig Book. In other words, I'm NOT looking for a book (or pdf) showing various GJ chord voicings in major chords, minor chords, etc., but grilles that run through a repertoire of tunes showing chord voicings as well as the chord names. The "Gig Book" is helpful for introducing GJ chord voicings to the newbie and the repertoire is fairly extensive. My criticism is that the same chord voicings continue throughout the book rather than introducing different voicings/inversions that might be particularly handy for particular tunes. This is to help "a friend."

Comments

• t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade

All due respect to Mr. Nolan, I have found one is better off following a very simple lead sheet or grille and learning to embellish/voice when appropriate. On page 46 of Michael's Gypsy Rhythm book there is a section entitled "Multipurpose Chord Shapes." This has been invaluable to me in the world of gypsy jazz chord subs. I have learned to use them sparingly and I like the feel one can bring to the rhythm section accordingly.

MichaelHorowitzKlausUS
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    edited January 2020 Posts: 243

I HAVE Michael's Gypsy Rhythm book, and the pages 46-47 is NOT what I'm looking for at the moment, as I'm aware of that and others that apply the same basic concept. It's a useful tool, indeed. However, I'm wondering if there's something out there like Nolan's Gig Book with a fairly large repertoire with the grille voicings laid out for each song within the repertoire, like Nolan's Gig Book, but providing more extensive (non-repetitive) chord shapes, including different tunes, of course. Shapes that fit better within a particular work without having to do the algebra.

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

It only contains the recordings from the Quintette du Hot Club de France, but the grilles that came with the Lable Ouest remasters is pretty good. It is in grille format, but then it gives you variations for certain bars of a song. It also gives you the passing chords for the tunes. For example it shows the walk up to D7 from F from measure 11-12 on the 1937 recording of Rose Room as an option. @Samy Daussat as well as others put it together. There are 140 chord charts.

You get it as a download when you buy the CD box set.

The remasters are so good that I bought all four offerings available.

wim
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Colin Cosimini wrote 4 books that have (pretty much exactly) what you want. Good luck finding them as they are out of print.

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/colin_1

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret

@Geese_com and @Stringswinger

I have The Gypsy Jazz Chord Book Vol 3 by Colin Cosimini. He illustrates moveable chord shapes and suggested chord voicings/shapes on some of the chords on some tunes in his book, but it's NOT done in the manner of Nolan's Gig Book. Of course, it's a great resource. Not dissing that.

Following Stringwinger's advice, I just purchased and downloaded the Grilles et Diagrammes.pdf of the Quintette du Hot Club de France. However, the grilles and diagrammes show the chord names only, NOT the voicings (suggested chord shapes). Again I'm not dissing that either.

But I'm still wondering if there's an alternate resource similar to Nolan's Gig Book: extensive and illustrated by chord voicings/chord shapes, not just names of chords.

Any out there?

• JojoJojo London UK

Why don't you buy one of the rhythm guitar courses by Hono or Nousche from the DC Music school. Hono has recorded thirty-odd repertoire tracks that are transcribed for you to download and keep. I don't have those courses but the aim is to show you the substitutions used in popular tracks...

edited January 2020 Posts: 243

I have Nousche's Vol. 2 from the DC Music School. Besides the helpful videos of Nousch performing each song, I can download TABS of Nousche's chord voicings/shapes for each song. Not like Rolan's Gig Book, but close. Thanks! That's very helpful. I kinda forgot about that.

• TwangTwang New

It’d be worth you looking at Rino’s guitar fills course on the soundslice website.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • TwangTwang New

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited January 2020 Posts: 541

this website has a lot of good tunes, most using alternate voicings compared to Robin Nolan's books, but similarly set up.

Here is "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" as an example. I find it easier to just google the title of whatever song I want + "grilles-manouches" and that usually works better than searching from the home page itself.

https://www.grilles-manouches.net/playback/playback-jazz-manouche/77-i-can-t-give-you-anything-but-love

PLUS is has play-along videos!!

Andy

rudolfochrist