DjangoBooks.com

A Good Flight Case

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    klaatu wrote:
    Jack wrote:

I almost had my honeymoon canned by a bitchy airline employee who was determined to not let me take my guitar on.

They let you marry your guitar? Wow, I thought we were liberal here in Canada!

It's even worse then that...I was actually editing the Unaccompanied Django book on my honeymoon....what is my problem???!!!

Michael, you're a very sick man. I admire that.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls
    I fly at least twice a year with my guitar via Air Canada (not by choice -- it's the only way to get to Halifax) and I can say from experience that it's absolutely no use talking to them. They will not let you take a guitar on-board. After watching the baggage-handlers trash my Hiscox case (thankfully the guitar was okay), I invested in a Calton, and check it with my suitcase.

I do have to say, though, that none of this is comparable to the trouble that my sister, a professional cellist, has had trying to travel with her instrument. She used to, when it was still allowed, have to buy an extra seat for it (made out to A. Cello). Nowadays, she leaves her good cello at home and has a lesser "travel" cello. Just imagine what bassists have to cope with!

J
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    jero -

What do you come to Halifax for? Professional engagements, by any chance?

Michael Collins makes a great-looking little gypsy travel guitar:
    http://www.collinsguitar.com/travelguitar.htm

or perhaps a plastic Maccaferri would be just the ticket!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls
    What do you come to Halifax for? Professional engagements, by any chance?

No, I'm strictly amateur! :D

I grew up in Halifax, and come to visit my parents (and, of course, to taunt nwilkins). My father plays jazz guitar as well, so I try to bring my guitar along so that we can jam.

J
    Next time you're coming to Halifax and feel like doing some Djamming, drop me a line. I live less than an hour away, in Windsor.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Are the Calton and other flight cases significantly bigger than a normal case? I wonder because the best of both worlds would be a tough case which you could still carry on and put in the overhead when possible.

Anyone use a case cover like those sold here...

http://www.coloradocasecompany.com
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Calton cases are pretty big..but I bring mine on-board all them time. It always
    fits.

'm
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Since the Holiday Season has already started, and you already know you will not receive your Customized Calton case on time, because it's been backordered another 2 months...
    So I though I would share this link with you:

http://timberens.com/essays/miscellaneoustips.htm
    - JG
    I believe they are no longer being produced.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I've used this strategy in maybe 7-8 planes.
    Put guitar in gig bag (can't be safely checked at all).
    Don't take best guitars.

Fits in overhead for sure, often leaving more room for others, and this "thoughtfulness" seems to impress them a little sometimes. (I've also been unable to get a case in one overhead at all and it wasn't a small plane though it was a 16 1/4" guitar. 16" seems a hard limit for overheads with a minimal case.
    This make or break strategy (soft case - gig bag) got me through a situation in Korea where they were determined to check it. I just kept crying and moaning, and finally showing them the guitar seemed to do the trick, (it was a D hole Manouche). Our guitars look cool and should fool some authorities into believing its something quite unique, handmade, one of a kind.

Checking it (down under) seems more risky than the above, because even if it survives without noticeable damage, it WILL be abused.
    There is no perfect answer. I will not check a guitar.
    I might if I knew that insurance would cover it.

How much recovery did you get on the guitar and the case? - and what strategy (before or after the damage) did you use to get insurance to pay?
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK