DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo -- Live in samois

Comments

• seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    I didn't get to see the feed, but I have seen the GBQ a million times. I think Rob has killer tone (he sounds very much like Stan Getz), and the sax sits in great on Argidulce, On a Good Day, etc. Then again, those songs aren't really traditional "gypsy jazz" (whatever that means). So maybe you are right! There's lots of sax on the old Waso records, so I guess Fapy thought it worked at some point.
  • XjaxXjax Boston
    The GB Quartet sounded great. The energy was high, the crowd loved them, but the set was relatively short. Bireli played an electric set with a Strat and then the Rosenberg Trio played a long set with Thomas Dutronc joining them about halfway in to sing and play nylon string guitar.

I recorded most of the show until I ran out of battery power part of the way into the Rosenberg's set. I just reviewed some of the footage and unfortunately the audio levels were a bit hot and there's some distortion. I was shooting with a D7000 and a Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro with the camera audio level set to Normal and the -10dB pad enabled on the mic and unfortunately it was still overdriven a bit. This was my first show with this camera and mic and there's no way to monitor the levels and adjust. The footage is still good and I'll post it when I return to Boston in a couple of weeks when I'm not working from an iPad.

Btw, the official camera folks had cameras rolling for both the GBQ and Bireli sets but not for the Rosenberg Trio's set...

X
  • The reason i ask is that I play alto sax and really enjoy listening to the old django songs with ekyan or fols. Or hawkins.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,252
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Now a question on the sax.... ... others thoughts on how well the sound of the tenor with a high baffle mouthpiece fits with acoustic instruments

I loved it. I noticed his tone too, but I loved it. It had a wonderful mix of that more modern clean & forward "studio tone" with just a hint of old-school jazz roughness underneath which really seemed to compliment the style of the music. But I have a feeling more of that is due to Rob than the setup. Anyway, those were my thoughts. I think they had him sitting too high in the mix for part of one song. Good sound reinforcement though. They missed the beginning of Gonzalo's Bandoneon outro & they wonked around with Robs levels a bit on one song but got them nailed quickly - other than that they did a great job. Love good sound crews; can't imagine how good you'd have to be to do that many different bands in that short of a period of time. I suppose the new boards with computerized pre-sets and the ability to do real-time ambient noise analysis help a lot, but still,it amounts to a lot of variables - some of which change from song to song or even within songs...and they all have to be pretty much right or things can turn to worms quickly.

Love those guys (GBQ). I watched the whole set with a big shitty grin on my face.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Worked for me. Tres cool. Thanks for posting! Good camera work and sound, not to mention outstanding performance from the Gone band and guest. Not bad for a Dogtown local. :wink:
    Swang on,
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Yep, back up. The French yesterday indicated they were working to fix the link, as I recall, must have corrected whatever was going on.

Fabulous. Thanks again, Andrew.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • lezardlezard IrelandNew
    edited June 2012 Posts: 53
    wim wrote:
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Good set ... Who is the hot female violinist?
    sadly i didn't get to see the stream, but it was probably leah zeger .. yes good set on her

And then some, Yowzah!

http://www.leahzeger.com/Gallery.html#0
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    I wonder if some of J's concern about the sax sound is caused by the microphone-down-the-bell approach taken by the soundman / PA girl.
    Tenor saxophones sound very different when mic'ed from further away, compared with the mic right in the instrument's bell, larger distance is not always possible in a live situation, but should be more possible in an all-acoustic GJ group, I'd think. I think of some old pics & video of 1960's tenor players on stage, there mics were often 4 or 5 feet away from their saxophones.
    I note Rob's using twin body-mounted microphones on his clarinet.
    Rob does seem to be using quite a bright mouthpiece on his old Selmer tenor sax ,it's true.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Hey! There's Rock, Emmit, Ann Castro and a couple other people I recognize but don't know names in the audience. Small world!
  • To my old ears the sounds emanating from tht tenor were typically modern jazz/r&b bright and punchy, with lots of edge, like he is using a High rollover baffle or a step baffle mpce. Could have been the micing but i thought the sound crew did a pretty good job. Sounded good for internet music.

I really ejoyed the lines and phrases he was playing. I just had this gnawing, not sure thing :shock: :oops: .....as to whether that particular timbre blends really well with the sound of GJ guitars.

But then evrything i do is to work to get a dark smoky breathy touch of getz sound so thats probably just my personal quirks showing. :mrgreen:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed