DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo -- Live in samois

13»

Comments

• duotiltduotilt Belgium✭✭✭
    Just back from Samois. It was a fantastic year! Gonzalo was really good. It sounded like complete songs with great arrangements and not just a form. The sound was great and his French was funny .
    He has work tremendous on his songs. A non European player who set Samois as opener in fire, not many people can to that !
    Thanks Gonzalo for your great gig
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    Yeah Gonzalo was the bomb, great set, very nice take on Django's Tiger for the purists and the band compositions/arrangements were something else.

Considering which, I can't think for the life of me what Bireli was doing on that bill. Apart from a nice trip hop groove in the first 2 minutes and a clever rework of Nuages, it was one and a half hours of over-amplified mid-80s fretwank. Hate to say it, but on this evidence he needs to take a Miles=style sabbatical.

Anyone else [dis]agree?

swing68
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • Gonzalo confirmed that it was indeed Leah Zeger on violin
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Gonzalo confirmed that it was indeed Leah Zeger on violin

I havent seen the Birelli piece however Miles was known to tell Coltrane to "take the horn out of your mouth man" when he got particcularly notey.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • I didn't see the Bireli set from Samois but saw a video from a few days earlier with this group. Not my cuppa, but Bireli can do whatever he wants to do.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    There are AVI files of the TV broadcast for both the GB Quartet performance and the Bireli set that have been posted on file sharing sites. Each is about a 1gig in size.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    This really is a great performance by GBQ. Leah Zeger is gasoline on the fire. I've watched it start to finish three times. Wow!

Anyone know what the name of the sixth song is, the first one Leah joins in on.

Craig
  • spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
    I agree with swing68.

Gonzalos band was a bomb! great sound, what cannot be heard on the video, but live sounded great, great arrangements, and spontanous moments.

Bireli will forever be a unique genious for me, and I enjoy his playing. But his performance felt like he was mocking the crowd. Like he knew what was expected of him, and he didnt want to obey.

Maybe he became tired of people copying him.

And maybe Im wrong, maybe there wasnt some deep message. Maybe just a great performance, but in wrong place and in wrong time. And, yes, his guitar was too loud.