DjangoBooks.com

Fapy says most are "just playing notes..."...

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    brandoneon wrote:
    What is the way to play that leads one to play with feeling and depth that he says is lacking?

Is this merely a perspective of a subtlety in playing that only a master could deduce?

I've been reading Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery book. I'm not sure how well-known it is in GJ circles, but it's really changing my perspective on many things besides music. And some of his descriptions of musicians that transcend their art really remind me of descriptions I've read of Django. It's really a great read and may provide some answers to your questions. :-)

For what it's worth, I know Jazzaferri also has read Mr. Werner's work, and puts its principles into his practice. Great text.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    brandoneon wrote:
    What is the way to play that leads one to play with feeling and depth that he says is lacking?

Is this merely a perspective of a subtlety in playing that only a master could deduce?

I've been reading Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery book. I'm not sure how well-known it is in GJ circles, but it's really changing my perspective on many things besides music. And some of his descriptions of musicians that transcend their art really remind me of descriptions I've read of Django. It's really a great read and may provide some answers to your questions. :-)

That sounds like a great book. Thanks!
  • There are a number of people on this forum who have gotten into EM. I read it about 4 years ago and it certainly had a big impact on my playing over time.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Still my favorite is the 'Live in Paris'

I've listened to that CD a lot lately, I love to put on headphones and listen to the intro tune "le vieux tsigane", guitar bliss.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Hey guys - is this a CD, or DVD (maybe it's both?) of Fapy live in Paris? I have the Tchavolo Live in Paris, been unable to find one from Fapy. Info much appreciated!
    -Paul

I just remembered something that Kurt Rosenwinkel said when I went to his workshop: "every note wants to go somewhere". Then he demonstrated this by starting with a simple 2-3 note idea and continued building a line and commenting between each note what he thought was the next logical choice. He ended up with a really pretty melody.
    This I think is the very essence that differentiates true masters from those just hitting a guitar and playing a bunch of notes, going to where music takes you not only laying down licks and phrases that fit the changes, although I guess this skill has to be acquired first to be able to go to that next level.
    Hey guys - is this a CD, or DVD (maybe it's both?) of Fapy live in Paris? I have the Tchavolo Live in Paris, been unable to find one from Fapy. Info much appreciated!
    I thought he was talking about Angelo Debarre DVD/CD, at least I was. I have a CD not a DVD though, well not a physical CD, I have a Spotify subscription now and that's my main musical "library" these days.
    Great, thanks, Buco.
    -Paul

• TooheyToohey New
    You've got to sing boys....sing!