DjangoBooks.com

Fapy says most are "just playing notes..."...

Comments

• kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Buco wrote:
    Hey guys - is this a CD, or DVD (maybe it's both?) of Fapy live in Paris? I have the Tchavolo Live in Paris, been unable to find one from Fapy. Info much appreciated!
    I thought he was talking about Angelo Debarre DVD/CD, at least I was. I have a CD not a DVD though, well not a physical CD, I have a Spotify subscription now and that's my main musical "library" these days.

Yes, I was referring to Angelo Debarre's 'Live in Paris' DVD. I watch a bit of it every morning before I practise. I have Tchavolo's DVD too. I pretty much got it because I really love 'Valse à Dora'.

I did find this: 'Le chemin de Django DVD'. That's on my list to get next for the performance of Fapy and Lolo at Samois.

I've gotta find a way to get to Djangofest NW this fall...
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Fapy, Lollo and Stochelo, if you please. :D

That's a great DVD, and the section with the three of them playing together at night in Samois is priceless. Django Legacy is another one. For some wonderful commentary by Tchavolo, Romane and Angelo, David Reinhardt, Elios and Boulou Ferre and others, if you haven't already, see also the 100th birthday celebratory film, Life After Django.

A big plug, by the way, for Django in June. If you could swing it, it's an incredible experience....basically, 5 solid days of playing upwards of 15-18 hours a day with over 100 musicians from all over the globe, and among them, some of the finest we have playing today. Crazy great time.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    Django in June is on my wish list this year.
    Actually it's probably a matter of day when I'm gonna go ahead and register.
    I've been hearing from Adrian (Holovaty) "you should go" for years now.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Buco wrote:

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Buco. Andrew (Lawrence, the DIJ Founder/Organizer) does a masterful job with this camp. Life-changing, for me. If there were anyway at all possible (I'm holding the slimmest hope) for me to swing it this year, I'd be going again.

Added bonus for you, Adrian's on the faculty, first time! (Adrian, if you're reading this - a belated congrats, by the way!)
    -Paul

• Buco wrote:

It is money well spent. If you have the means, you should go.
    I don't think you'll be disappointed, Buco. Andrew (Lawrence, the DIJ Founder/Organizer) does a masterful job with this camp. Life-changing, for me. If there were anyway at all possible (I'm holding the slimmest hope) for me to swing it this year, I'd be going again.

Any disappointment would come from myself feeling that I'm limping behind.
    Anything I've ever heard about DIN was nothing but a max enthusiasm.
    That and a warning on sleep deprivation.
    jkaz wrote:
    It is money well spent. If you have the means, you should go.
    Yeah that was also a stopper, I decided I'll just pull some $ from savings.
    But even more so was that I wasn't putting in the practice time I needed so it was a self-disapproval until I do.
    This year I finally changed something and have practiced every day give or take a day or two.
    So DIN is my reward sort of.

And to add something that's more relevant to the discussion is that so many players, good players, are afraid of silence. Django wasn't, even when he's doing some blistering lines at 200+bpm he can still pull the brakes and go into completely relaxed playing doing only a couple of notes per bar.
    Buco, I've only been at this, with a month or so earlier, since last February, and I recall wondering if I'd just by way too green, and add to that I'd not worked on anything but rhythm (still there, though I daily work on waltzes, as well). Klaatu (Ben) was really kind in letting me know how much rhythm was honored at the camp, much like Samois. Andrew was similarly encouraging, and I'm glad I went. Classes were great, but I'd say, it was between the classes that totally rocked my world. You're leagues ahead in experience than I am, so I'd imagine you'd be all the more enriched.

If you go, have a blast.

P.S.: And yes, sleep was a serious issue for these bones, especially around Thursday. Came back wrecked for several weeks, my fingers were literally black and blue, my tetchy neuro stuff was bad and I had to come back to playing slowly...all of it, absolutely worth it.
    -Paul

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Effortless Mastery is indeed an interesting read. Highly recommended!

Fapy's playing on Stardust in that clip was fantastic. Thanks for posting it!
  • Te read is interesting to follow his practising from the space sublime.

I have made leaps and bounds in technique since learning egoless practice. :shock: still have to work on keeping that though.

The hardest part is as KW says, is in the beginning, how little one can actually play with Effortless Mastery.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Came back wrecked for several weeks, my fingers were literally black and blue, my tetchy neuro stuff was bad and I had to come back to playing slowly...all of it, absolutely worth it.
    Hahaha that's hilarious!
    And thank you for your nice words too, is always good to hear encouragement.

I'll have to look into "effortless mastery"myself.