DjangoBooks.com

My guitar is exploding!

Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
We have these hot dry winds blowing through California right now, causing brush fires and all sorts of havoc. Looks like my Gitane DG300 is the most recent victim.

The stings have been buzzy all week, which is not uncommon when the temperature and humidity change rapidly around here. This morning, however, I experienced extreme fretting out on the high E string around the 13-14th frets. Well, thinks I, I can just slide a Fender pick under the bridge foot as a shim, that should get me through the gigs this weekend, right? I get the tension of the bridge, and bridge won't come loose from the moustache tips. Little extra muscle, and POP! the moustache tip goes flying off. Not a crisis, glue can fix it, and I've been meaning to make some of Josh's recommended bevelling mods to the bridge feet anyway.

EEB51F4D_zps1b1e95bf.jpg

I do some sanding on the bridge ends, and place it back on the guitar, sans tip. Even with the shim, the fretting out is even worse. I look at the edge - oh no - neck hump!!! I've adjusted the truss rod, but it's still rising between frets 11-14. I've got the strings back up to tension and adjusted the truss. Let's see if it resolves itself. If not, I fear this may be an expensive problem to fix.
Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
Tagged:

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014 Posts: 349
    I feel for you man. I'm on the westside (of LA) and it's been hotter than a two dollar pistol, with no let-up in sight. Currently 82 degrees and the same forecast for tomorrow. Feels like zero percent humidity. Only half a day of rain so far this winter! After reading your post, I put a humidifier in my case. Herco makes a cheap one that's supposed to work pretty good. Also have a Planet Waves one you suspend from the strings and hangs in the sound hole. It has a little sponge in it. I use distilled water. Hope the the marine layer comes back soon and we finally get some rain.
    Swang on,
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Definitely try a case humidifier and see if that helps. Be sure to use a hard case and keep the lid latched to get a good seal.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I've been running a humidifier for about a month now and I'm nowhere near the environment your in.

I did a search for DAMPIT and these are the results…

Lot's of info and possible hope also a couple of Lazareth stories.

Probably worth reading…

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/search?Search=dampit

Give it a try and GOOD LUCK

pick on

pickitjohn
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 1,252
    Dry winds... I remember them well from my time in Los Angeles as a young man.

Well Miles, all I can say is "Get on it". Humidify to the best of your abilities. It doesn't have to come from a purchased product. "Sooner" is better than "better" in terms of humidification. If you have an old cold-cream jar in the house, and a diaper... you can make a decent case humidifier. the absorbent pellets in many diapers are the same thing used in many humidifiers. Put them in an old jar and ream holes in the lid and add water till the pellets absorb it. Or put a (new) dish sponge in a jar and poke holes in the lid. (new sponge that doesn't have mold spores that come from contact with food and moisture)

Dryness in guitars reduces the damping and height of the soundboards and makes them ring wetly and fret out... which is annoying, but once they crack, you're out money. A de-laminated mustache isn't all that bad - a tube of super-glue and you're back in business. But (with all due respect to Saga - they make fine instruments) their finishes are generous. If you have a JJ300 that's drying out... it's darned dry.

Good luck, man.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    edited January 2014 Posts: 629
    Thanks for the guidance. I put some damp sponge pieces in a vitamin bottle with holes on side and lid, and stuffed it in the case next to the cutaway. Should it just go in the case, or lower it through the soundhole into the body?

B6BAB347_zps9755516e.jpg

This sort of popped up over the last day or two (temp was 89 degrees today, and that's on the CA coast 5 min from the ocean). I'm hoping I have caught it in time.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    You're doing it how most people do it.

In the soundhole wouldn't hurt - that's the theory behind dampits - and they're great - I use them. But by doing the sponge/bottle thing, and keeping it in a case, you're already helping a lot.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 629
    Outside humidity right now is at 13%, and that's at the harbor!
  • steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
    I wish I was better because I would sit in with you this weekend in Ojai. I have a Paris Swing to get you through. Message me if you are desperate.
    Thank you for the offer, Steve - very kind. I'll use my D500 this weekend. It's only a duo gig, so my little brother won't be using it (he's part of our quintet lineup).

Do you like the Paris Swing? I'm going to look closer to them at NAMM. A Favino since might be a nice contrast to my Jorgenson.
  • steteaksteteak Kern County, California Paris Swing
    The Paris Swing is starting to sound better. I bought it new about a year ago, which is when I began playing with an attention to detail. Currently, the sound that I hear exhibits a whoosh that is lounder than the sound produced from my sound hole, twhich is noticable when I record with my iPad. But, having listened to my recordings and comparing, the differences I hear are more attributable to my technique than to the guitar's construction. The Paris Swing is still challenging and fun. I like the neck shape. It is shallow and "C" shaped vs. a "U" shaped neck, which makes it very playable. I have put a lot of hours on it.