DjangoBooks.com

My guitar is exploding!

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    I use Oasis humidifiers in my instrument cases for my DG 300, and my hollow electric basses ( Hofner and Jack Casady), during seasons when the heating system is on. Wood likes to be at about 43% RH, according to my local violin maker. Here's a link to Oasis. I've used them for years, and found them to be better than any other design. I spent a year monitoring the RH in the case of my instruments to see what the effect of various humidifiers was on the case environment. Your instrument will play better and be far more stable with correct humidification.
    http://oasishumidifiers.com/original.html
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    OK, I've always played Gibson or Fender solid body guitars except for my old 00-18, which normally lives in it's case. Should I be keeping my Gitane DG-255 in the case? It usually lives on it's stand where I am impelled to play it as much as possible. It gets a little direct sunlight in the mornings and is close to the slider going out to the patio. I assumed that since it is coated with a thick poly finish, it is impervious to the elements. I, too, live a 15 min. walk to the California coast and it should be up to 70° today and the next few days.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    A hygrometer will keep the guesswork out of this problem

Here is a good link to Bob Holo's post

Humidity Check... it's that time of year again.

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/9956/

GOOD INFO:

pick on

pickitjohn

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    They are hard instruments to record. Don't put the mic near the soundhole, like you would on an American guitar. For our CD, I put the mic pointed at the wood on the treble side of the lower bout.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014 Posts: 349
    Hygrometers are handy. Planet Waves sells a little inexpensive one you can put in the case, or in your music room. They also provide local humidity levels on the weather channel, which vary throughout the day. The link to Bob Holo's post has some good info. A small room humidifier might be a good investment for my one bedroom apartment?
    Santa Monica is returning to better levels today: 20-53 percent. At least with Teles you don't have to worry about this stuff except for fret sprout... "Leo got it right the first time"....they also sound great for jazz on the neck pickup, if you take it easy. Gotta get me another. I'm missing the one I sold recently.
    Swang on,
  • Just so people understand the dynamics of wood, while the outside may have a thick costing of something as the insides are usually not coated all that does is make the expansion and contraction due to moisture content changed more asymmetric thus more stressful.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Miles I know what you mean. Here in Beijing the air is almost as dry as where you're at. Don't rely on the weather reports for humidity levels. The reports here say humidity is 35% some days but my hygrometer says it's 20% or less.

My method here during the dry season is to keep a room humidifier on 24/7 in the room I keep my instruments in. Since I have a Planet Waves digital hygrometer I assume the reading should be pretty accurate. I keep the room humidity above 40% minimum at all times. I just have to add more water every morning and every night but it doesn't bother me. This way the guitars can be left out in the open. Once it's humidified (may take up to two weeks) taking it out on gigs and then back home won't hurt it.

Good luck!
    MichaelHorowitz
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    Take George Benson's advice.......take the guitar into the bathroom and turn your shower on hot and steam-up the room
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I will be investing in a room hygrometer and humidifier this weekend. After a few weeks in the case, my guitar is better but still far from back to normal. Jill's guitar is still in the case soaking it up. We live close to the beach, but we are having bad drought. Rained on Sunday, but not much
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Tele295
    This is the Hygrometer I've been using…
    works fine for me..
    AcuRite 613 Indoor Humidity Monitor

pick on
    pickitjohn