5x45xx
    Can be a shorthand for either
    5x4555 (Am6)
    554555 (D9)
    5x454x (A°)
    ?
    Paul Murray
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yep and another shape looks like major triad, or a m7 (think F/A and Dm7/A i.e. relative minor). And another looks like major 6 and is also a minor triad (think C6 and Am/C). Plus a basic minor triad with the root on the 5th string (or the 5th on the 6th string) and a shape for dominant with the root on the 6th string and that's pretty much all you need to basically negotiate any chart (of course there is a lot more to know but that will get anyone started). And those grips are about as easy as they get.
    Paul MurrayCraig Bumgarner
  • Paul MurrayPaul Murray Dublin✭✭
    Bones wrote: »
    Yeah, plus those 3 note chords leave room for the soloist and bass player.

Dm6 arp: D F A B all in the A harmonic minor scale too...G# approach tone, C is b7, E is 9th, all 'good'

Over Dm6...hmmm...I never thought of that...interesting. Thanks for that Bones!

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Which means you only need one scale to solo on Minor Swing, ha ha! ;-)
    Paul Murray
    Matteo wrote: »
    Which means you only need one scale to solo on Minor Swing, ha ha! ;-)

Exactly! When the brain doesn't work, just play the harmonic scale for a few bars. :D
    I think the point is just that this 3 note chord
    5x45xx
    Can be a shorthand for either
    5x4555 (Am6)
    554555 (D9)
    5x454x (A°)
    ?

Exactly Pompe. Sorry Lango-Django, that's what I meant!

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Oh, but I think the idea of one scale for a whole tune only seems simple on the surface, that's why I thought it was funny. It might not in reality be the easiest approach; you still need to know the chord tones of the tune to make it sound like you follow the progression. So you are probably better off attacking it from an arpeggio perspective. But I'll definitely try this scale on a Dm6 chord in an other context and see what happens. The whole point of theoretical ideas like this is to take them with you "into the lab" and see what new discoveries you might make, what new exciting sounds you may end up with and perhaps might want to incorporate into your playing.
    Paul Murray
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,707
    There is only one scale needed for any tune. It's called the chromatic scale.

The tricky bit is playing the notes you want to play in the tune.

And guys and gals, truly, while it may seem it, I am not being cute.
    Paul MurrayNoneGuitGuykevingcox
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,855
    Thanks, everyone... NOW I see what you mean!

How did I never notice that?

From now on, I'll always think of that 5x45xx chord as the "AHA" chord.
    pickitjohnwimBucoPaul Murray
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • good one Will. The AHA chord it is.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed