DjangoBooks.com

"Aha!" moments studying gypsy jazz

Comments

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Anyway, back to the topic of this thread. Sometimes it is those incredibly little silly things that creates a huge aha-moment. And this must be the silliest in ages. I thought yesterday that my playing was even shabbier than usual, with less precision, worse timing and much uglier sound. Everything was bad. So depressing; where had all those practise hours the past months gone? Today I just happened to throw a quick glance at my pick before I took it in my hand and saw that the edge was really worn down. Could that have anything to do with it? Since some months ago I use the 2 mm Dunlop grey-that-turns-into-black croco picks. Luckily I had one unused pick of those at home, took it and wow, I suddenly felt like Angelo Debarre! Well, almost. I used to use Wegen Fatones and played with the same one year after year. Of course these Dunlops will deteriorate quicker. But I hadn't really given it much thought. I haven't changed the pick I use on my electric guitar for years, not that I play much electric, but anyway. And I couldn't think that such a little thing could make so much difference. After all, Django appears to have played with the most bizarre things, a comb tooth for example, when he didn't have his usual pick. But the effect was remarkable. It changed everything. I remember the same feeling from changing strings sometimes, which lead me to buy Argentines en masse from Michael H a while ago. And from now on I will also check that I have a reasonably fresh pick too. Well life is short and this music difficult enough without having to fight against a bad pick and strings. Some people make a point of never changing pick or strings, for whatever reasons, but why spoil the fun for such little cost and trouble?
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited July 2015 Posts: 393
    Right Jazzaferri! I was typing my last post before I saw yours. Yes, there are things to work on. I think I'd like to concentrate more on rhythmic stuff in the coming months. So important!
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Last month at Django in June Kamlo Barre said that long ago he was told to hold a cigarette lighter in his picking hand ( with the middle, ring, and pinky fingers) to get him used to having his R hand sit correctly. I tried this and immediately found that I was able to relax the R hand and get some of the bounce I was looking for. Definitely aha! I'm not holding a lighter but I don't have those three fingers hanging down anymore.
  • thorjensenthorjensen Brooklyn, NY Jerome Duffell
    @Charles Meadows A few years back at DiJ, Christoph Lagane said something similar. He said to eat a peach, then practice while holding the pit. It was great advice.
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    Is that advice about the hand just for Rhythm or lead as well ?
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Lead mostly. I think a closed hand is pretty natural for strumming. But I have always had my three fingers "hanging down" while playing lead stuff. Angelo and Stochelo seems to do fine with some permutation of that - but when I closed the hand the difference was amazing. I could finally keep the hand relaxed even with faster playing.
  • My latest AHA moment was finally TRULY understanding that rhythm and timing are more important than notes. The rest is the most underutilized musical expression in this and many other genres.

The other one that happened recently is how effective getting the right chord voicing to have supportive harmonic movement. And here I thought I was getting close to being able to really play. Every time I start to think that way, something comes along to show me how much more I have to learn.
    BucoDaveyc
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    <schnip>

Christophes can come under many many guises. In C major:
    • F Fm7 C or F F#° C - these are the plain vanilla ones.
    • F Bb7 C, using the Bb9 <-> Fm6 equivalence (exactly like you, there will never)
    • Dm Fm C, using the relative minor equivalence Dm7 <-> F6 (avalon, shine)
    <schnip>

• F, Fm(7), C
    • F, Bb7(or 9), C
    • Dm, Fm, C

I might call all of the "Christophes" above " Minor Plagal Cadences" .
    Not very "Manouche", I know :-/

• F, F#dim, C
    and the related:
    • Dm, D#dim, C

I think of as versions of a different kind of cadence,
    though I don't have a name for it.
  • opus20000opus20000
    A major 6/9 arpeggio is same as a major pentatonic scale every blues rocker and their grandma plays i.e. notes : C D E G A. Duh....
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Does anyone know any examples of the use of major pentatonic scale-based licks in GJ. I'm sure that they are out there.