DjangoBooks.com

Out of Print?

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    hey Colin,

there are players available for OGG files, but what you might want to do is search for "storm codec" and download that - it is a program which basically contains every codec you'll ever need, so it can play any file that is not supported by other software on your computer. I am not sure if it is available for Macs, but is worth a try. Cheers,

Nick
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Hi John,

I was thinking that once your site is full, you could give it a week (or maybe less) and then delete all the files on the site so that more can go up. It would be useful to maintain a list of the albums as you delete them so that people can consult the list to prevent uploading stuff that was previously on the site.

Nick
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Another approach would be to give each upload a shelf life of say, a week (or two), and then delete them at their expiration date (keeping a record, of course).

I want to thank those of you who have uploaded stuff. I don't know anything about the rare recordings of the genre, and I don't have the resources or time to find out, but I do love hearing as much of the music as I possibly can. This is a fantastic way to do it, and I thank you for the opportunity.

I wish I had a way to reciprocate, but unless somebody is looking for old Art Ensemble of Chicago recordings, I'm afraid I cannot. When I meet any of you in person, I'll gladly stand you to a pint or two. Jack, that means you for sure in June.

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    I assume you have two limits: bandwidth and total amount of memory you can use. Changing the files every week would solve the total memory problem but I'm gueesing it would absolutely kill your bandwidth. If your provider (like mine and most) allows a certain amount of monthly usage it would be best to spread the files out more, wouldn't it? Otherwise you are going to have the same number of people killing your site every week as new stuff is put up.

I don't think leaving the same material up for a month would generate the same kind of bandwidth problems. Sure, more people would find out about it but those who are likely to know are going to know within a week anyway, especially if they know the stuff will be gone in a week's time.

My recommendation: leave the stuff up for a good month. Otherwise I, for one, will be more than happy to chew my way through your allotted bandwidth like there's no tomorrow.
  • jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls
    Colin:

The files can be played on a Mac through VLC media player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Many thanks to all who have uploaded!

While I agree with Nick and Ted regarding the "sanctity" of super-rare recordings, would it be posssible for a "want list" to be set up? I suggest this, of course, wholly out of self interest!

Best,
    Joseph
  • lgrosslgross york paNew
    I have a cd of Tchavolo Titi Bamberger and Ottorino Freier entitled Die Konige Von Strassburg,sinti jazz sessions,that I would like to upload is this available anywhere? I also would like to upload some things from DFNE 2004 Ritary,Shep and others but I would like to have permission first. Maybe Dennis could help me get permission from Ritary.
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    And I have the 14 sides recorded by the Dick McDonough/Carl Kress Big Band that were never released on CD. Maybe someone can verify for me that these aren't available

I have a CD called "Volume #2 of the Complete Dick McDonough & His Orchestra, including all sides with Gene Gifford & His Orchestra," released in 2002 by a label called Swing Time, out of Hollis, New Hampshire. Is this the McDonough big band stuff you're talking about?
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I believe the Konige von Strasbourg CD is no longer available so that should be fine - it is a very nice CD - Titi Bamberger's singing is great!

Ted and I enjoyed a magic moment one night at Samois 2003 as Titi serenaded a few of us who were sitting around watching him play.
  • lgrosslgross york paNew
    Yes it is a great a cd,sounds like it was recorded in somebodys living room.You can hear playing kids in the playing in the background and some great guitar work.I'll get it uploaded by the weekend if I get my computer working properly.
  • Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    Cuimean wrote:
    I have a CD called "Volume #2 of the Complete Dick McDonough & His Orchestra, including all sides with Gene Gifford & His Orchestra," released in 2002 by a label called Swing Time, out of Hollis, New Hampshire. Is this the McDonough big band stuff you're talking about?

No, I have that too. These are recordings that were released on vinyl by jazz archive in 1976. They are similar to those sides you have, but ususally feature the two of them playing a guitar duet for one chorus in the middle of the tune. There is no informaton on who orignally released the records, but they were made in 1937.