DjangoBooks.com

BlueChip SR60: Speed Bevel or Round Tip

124»

Comments

Funny thing, I stopped by Old Town School and they had what I posted above, Golden Gate and Dunlop with round tip.
    I agree with John's description of Golden Gate but I rather liked it's mellow tone.
    Dunlop is closer to the sound of Blue Chip both with how the guitar sounds and with the actual pick sounds when dropped on the hard surface. But last night I found myself reaching for Golden Gate more than Dunlop.

They are both good substitute for Blue Chip SR60 though and great picks on their own and I paid little over $4 for both.

John, I'm curious how different is the Golden Gate from your tortoise shell that you made? I would've expected them to sound closer to each other but I know you like the tortoise shell one and you're not keen on GG.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Buco
    Interesting trying to find words to describe what you hear, anyway it's not that I don't like the G G. I do, it produces a very clear round kind of muffled with less sustain response. I think in certain recording situations I may prefer it. A big PLUS is hardly any CLICK or pick noise. Glad I have some but rarely use them.

Anyway not to change the Topic or highjack a thread…

BlueChip SR60: Speed Bevel or Round Tip are Great :-c

Wish they were cheaper $-)
    Bucokevorkazito
  • I changed the stings on my DuPont short scale from Galli SS 11's to LaBella SS 11s

I much prefer the sound of the LaBella ....thanks @Buco ......BUT HERE's the point

On the Galli, playing with the rounded edge of my KS 60 .......which is almost identical in shape to the beveled pick shape but no bevel obviously....... My sound was a little less well defined than with the speed bevel. On the LaBell's it's the other way round.

I will experiment more ...but this topic has all of a sudden gotten way more complex in my mind than before.
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Well, I have to admit this is a great pick. My Altamira M01 sounds much better.

Funny thing is that I kept rotating the pick so the playing point was under the text. I had to flip it over to the plain (no text side) and examine the tips to prove to myself that they were all the same profile.

Aren't they? Lol
    Buco
  • JHBJHB Austin, Texas Dupont MD50
    I have spent a good some of money on picks...Used the wegan, Red Bear trading co. Picks (have to keep them polished as they get scratchy when they wear). Been using the Guzz S3 for several years and love them. So much so I purchased enough to last my lifetime, I think/hope. They wear great. Will order the Blue Chip SR60 to see what the fuss is all about.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,707
    I think I am making minute unconcious adjustments to get the tone I look for, which makes it almost impossible to know for sure ..........but certainly the different strings respond differently to the un beveled edge.

@JHB check out the Kenny Smith Signature too a wee bit less rounded than the SR. but still very rounded
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    On the Galli, playing with the rounded edge of my KS 60 .......which is almost identical in shape to the beveled pick shape but no bevel obviously....... My sound was a little less well defined than with the speed bevel. On the LaBell's it's the other way round.

So you got the KS60 without the speed bevel?
    If that's the case was anything in particular that made go for the round bevel, not the speed bevel?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,707
    No I got it with the speed bevel but the other two corners are very similar in profile without the bevel. My fave pick end shape now. Thanks for the LaBella strings suggestion BTW. Work a treat on the DuPont

Still messing around with the two different corners. I can tell a difference if I really concentrate on not changing pick angle but as soon as I get into the music I am pretty sure my subconscious mind is making subtle changes. :P
    Buco
    I see, thanks.
    I'm glad somebody else liked LaBella's. I almost feel like it's you, me and Pat Martino ;)
    I'm getting KS60 pretty soon.

JHB wrote: »
    Been using the Guzz S3 for several years and love them. So much so I purchased enough to last my lifetime, I think/hope. They wear great. Will order the Blue Chip SR60 to see what the fuss is all about.

Blue Chip don't wear great.
    They don't wear.
  • Also the quietest picks I have ever played. I have one of my custom Blue ChipnBig City copies that has over 500 hours on it and I can't really see any wear yet.