DjangoBooks.com

Manoucheries forum down-- what's going on?

124»

Comments

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 Posts: 459
    The quality sounds excellent in the brief clips on the net. With quality like this, it makes even more of a nonsense that the French company making the Django movie is going have Stochelo Rosenberg re-record Django's solos. ~X(

I think the problem is that the recordings are monaural. If you re-record it you can mix it in 2.0, 5.1 or even 7.1 for the cinema. They probably feel that the old recordings would seem out of place, I'm afraid.

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Svanis1337 wrote: »
    They probably feel that the old recordings would seem out of place, I'm afraid.

That is obviously what they think but I but I completely disagree with that thinking. For me, there is something about Django's playing, not just the notes but the unique way they are articulated that has never been re-captured by anyone else. Even someone as talented as Stochelo Rosenberg playing a Django solo note-for-note sounds like someone playing a Django solo note-for-note. It does not sound like Django.

• scotscot Virtuoso
    What movie?
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    . For me, there is something about Django's playing,
    Well I think you are going to enjoy the box set when you do get to hear it. Just received mine via French Amazon and although I haven't done A/B blind testing with earlier versions, I would say that the remastering of some of the 30's tunes sounds phenomenal to my ear.
    Incidentally, it seems like the grilles are not yet available for download but are in the pipeline and will be accessible via a code included with the box-set. http://tinyurl.com/npk4593
    scot wrote: »
    What movie?

New Django biopic
    http://www.leparisien.fr/espace-premium/culture-loisirs/reda-kateb-incarnera-django-reinhardt-19-05-2015-4781979.php
    it was mentioned on the forum some time ago.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel