DjangoBooks.com

impossible pickup?

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    Here is the back of my Stimer. I cut a piece of phenolic material to match the upper 1/3 of the soundhole and routed a small channel for the spring to slot into. Then I attached it to the pickup with sealant. The flat piece of phenolic is shimmed for a snug fit to the top and attached to the block with sealant. This piece helps keep the pickup from pivoting under spring tension. There are also small leather strips to keep the pickup from scratching the top.

I'd say it has no effect on the acoustic sound - little or no sound is generated in the upper bouts of a guitar. At least that seems to be the opinion of most luthiers I've talked to.

Modifying this pickup took me couple of hours. The hardest part was finding the nerve to fix that first piece to my vintage pickup. After that it was easy...
    Buco
  • surdopickupssurdopickups Galatina - (LECCE) - ITALIA
    edited December 2016 Posts: 39
    Surdo pickups
    Facilissimo montagiorno
    Ottima resa sonore

• surdopickupssurdopickups Galatina - (LECCE) - ITALIA
    edited December 2016 Posts: 39
    Surdo pickups

• woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    After looking at the Mateos LC, I spoke with Jason (Krivo) about doing something similar for me. Yep, he can do that, I should be getting it early next year.
    If it works out like I hope it will, I think I will be able to mount it permanently on the guitar. Yippee!
    Buco
    Nice work!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet
    woodamand wrote: »
    So I am toying again with the idea of the Krivo, especially since they are on sale right now for the holidays. I do wonder: how to you folks secure the guitar chord to the guitar? I have a hard time believing that you just let it hang loose.
    TIA

I use a Krivo on my JWC Modele Jazz. It sticks on there just fine and I don't secure the cord. Just experiment with the right amount of blue putty - not too much, but not too little. I smear it out quite thin and flat to get a large sticking area. Once I used too little and it did fall off. I haven't had any trouble with it affecting the finish.
    Kevin
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    So I spoke with Jason from Krivo and he is making me a Nuevo in the same shoe as a Mateos LC pickup - won't cover up too much of the hole. Here is the link to the LC: http://geronimomateos.com/ingles/Accesories/index.html
    I will get it holiday photos to follow. Yeah!
    So you should change the title of the thread to "Possible pickup!"
    That's really great, he should make it a part of the standard offering, I think a lot of people would be interested.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    @woodamand are you running the cord to the endpin and installing a jack?
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,809
    Although looking at it closer, this design wouldn't do much on my guitar. The fretboard is very close to the sound hole, there's about half inch distance between the two.
    Looks like on Mateos and JWC guitars there's more of a distance.

IMG_20160917_195006.jpg