DjangoBooks.com

impossible pickup?

124»

Comments

• woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Yeah, the idea is to have it permanently installed with the wire thru the end pin. That way I am less likely to mess it up. My guitar has like an 1 3/8" space between the end of the neck and the hole:
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    @woodamand Can't wait to see and hear the result, except that I just bought a Krivo Nuevo a couple of months ago, and would really prefer one like you're getting with an endpin jack. However, I really like my Krivo Nuevo, and it sounds great!
    I bet a lot of people would like to have this set up. After the first of the year, I will be I hope a really happy camper. Again,I have heard like nothing at all bad about the Nuevos from anyone, so I am looking forward to this big time
    So I went to Jason's house last night, tried both the Djangobucker and the Nuevo. They both sounded great. The 'bucker was of course dead quiet, and sounded very much like the acoustic sound my guitar has. The Nuevo, on the other hand, has much more character, through any of the amps I played it on.
    I could not resist, especially with the price I was offered, so I went for it. It was late at night when I got home, so I only played it thru the headphone jack in my Roland Cube 60. My gawd what a great tone, even with the knobs set flat. Reminds me of the late Django stuff, just a bit fuzzy and warm. It's a damn nice pickup, and I will deal with the not so hard taking it on and off as need be. I might try and hook up something on the outside of the tailpiece to attach the chord when I am playing.
    Thanks everyone for all the advise, and BTW have a great new year!
    Buco
    Oh it's cool that you two live close to each other.
    You're not going for the custom matched curved model?
    Come on, I was so looking forward to seeing that thing?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Turns out that it was only cosmetic-it didn't reduce the amount of the tone hole that is covered up. That being the case, I didn't want to spend a lot of extra cash on it, I mean it would have been $80 more, so I just couldn't see it.
    I could have paid a lot lot more to have Jason make a tiny pickup, and he might at some time for general sale I think, but again, that amount of cash is just too out of line for me.
    Yeah, neat that I can meet the maker, but that is pretty damn Portland. I like it here!
    So everyone can laugh at me now..........
    After thinking and listening a lot, I decided that the Nuevo, or any top mounted pickup, was just not right for me.
    I called up Jason and explained the situation to him, and I want to tell you he is one righteous guy: he could not give the money back to me, since it was past the 15 day trial period. What he did do was really very cool.
    Bear with me for a short digression: I first started reading this board when I was looking for a thin pickup for my Harmony archtop. I ended up getting a Lace Sensor here, the price was really good. Then I went thru a certain kind of hell trying to get it mounted. I was bummed, it was too thick to fit at the neck, so I had to mount it near the bridge. Not ideal, but what can you do?
    So I looked at the Krivo website and saw the archtop humbucker and thought, maybe that could fit at the neck on the Harmony.
    I went over to Jason's and sure enough, it did.
    Jason was cool enough to swap the nuevo for the archtop pickup, straight across, even though the nuevo cost less.
    How many guys would do that for you? Not that many, I can tell you that!
    I am in the process of getting a new pickguard for the Harmony and will have a great set up, with both pickups and a three way switch. With the great difference in the tone of the pickups, this will just be killer. Combined with the bronze flat top strings I use - well, I will post some audio when I get it done and let you decide.
    For me, I am a really happy camper - my guitar sounds great, and I have just had a bit of my faith in humanity restored. Gonna need a lot of little positive things over the next four years or I will lose my mind!
    Buco