DjangoBooks.com

rhythm type in Double Jeu by Stochelo Rosenberg

124»

Comments

• Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    dennis wrote: »
    That's why when I teach Gypsy Jazz Bossa Nova, I always tell people to never ever show it to a Brazilian musician! They'd probably laugh

Yeah, they do haha. Never really understood why it's called gypsy bossa, it has very little to do with Brazilian music.
    To me it sounds very similar to the context of flamenco with a little bit more harmony development.

What you mention about Birèli doing whatever appropriate for his ears I think is very important. I often see not only in GJ but any style whatsoever, people trying to imitate 100% of someone else's way of playing.
    I guess at some point one can forget about just doing something that your ears are asking you to play while trying to be someone else.

It quite reminds me one song of a Mexican pianist, Eugenio Toissaint who composed a song in honor to Clare Fischer. While he reminds Fischer's style, it still sounds like him.
    Isn't it what we all want?

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Hi Dennis, thanks for chipping in, and since I have the chance thanks for all the great work you have done that I and presumably everyone else here have benefited from.

I agree with you transcriptions of music without a written tradition are a minefield for sure.

But with non standard meter stuff there are some guys who have done truly stellar work. My absolute favourite transcriber is a guy called Akira Seta who did some Paco de Lucia transcriptions for an outfit called Gendai. Really just fantastic work and super clear yet detailed scores. Check him out for fun, it really is great to read them along with the recordings. As well as being fun it kinda teaches you by Osmosis. Steven King said in his recent Autobiography that the principal work of a writer was to read, he still seems to be enjoying writing !

D.
  • Hugh HuffakerHugh Huffaker Denver Dupont MD60
    @NylonDave no worries, it hard to read tone when on the message boards. No pressure to do that video, i'm just trying to understand everything everyone is talking about in this discussion. Cheers!
    @Egill Axfjörð Friðgeirsson you dug a pit for us and left us to feude, did any of this at least help?
    Hugh HuffakerJosechiky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel