DjangoBooks.com

Best archtops?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Lango, FWIW I think there is something to that but I really notice it on a brand new guitar (i.e. literally just built). They are very 'brittle' (harsh, or whatever difficult to describe) the first day. U can just leave them strung up overnight and the next morning they are a completely different instrument. Obviously that tapers off rapidly over time but they definitely continue to 'play in'.

RG- Cool. Did u get to road test it? Love to hear it. How is it for rhythm and leads?
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    Save up and buy a used Gibson Super 400. Does not get any better IMO. Occasionally seen on eBay for $6K to $10K for decent used 20+ year old model - and worth every penny.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Hey pmg, I've never played a Super 400. But I've heard them referred to as the "guiet giant" or something like that meaning that they aren't very loud acoustically. Is that true? Just curious as I'm building an 18" right now.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    Not to diss Gibsons or Super 400s, but I would always want to play such an instrument before committing to it, especially at the prices these guitars command. I've played old Gibsons that I would love to own, and even more that I wouldn't bother with--including classic-period L5s.

This might be a matter of personal taste, since I'm more often drawn to the Epiphone equivalents--I kept a '46 Broadway but sold an almost-as-nice '45 L7. Played a couple Super 400s that didn't do anything for me but really coveted an Emperor. Go figure. But the ears always trump everything, including brand. (Except maybe the wallet.)
    MarkA
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    edited April 2018 Posts: 108
    I saw an interview with Marty Grosz a few years ago in Just Jazz Guitar. He referred to the Super 400 as The Whispering Giant (I don’t recall who he was quoting). I laughed as that was a perfect description of an early 60’s Super 400 I briefly owned. But not too long ago I got to try one from 1940 that was truly excellent! I wondered if they were carving and building them for a more powerful acoustic sound prewar and later thought most would put a DeArmond on them. Like people here have said, the same model can vary greatly from one guitar to another.
  • Years ago I spent an afternoon In a Montreal music store that had a room for high end guitars (over 40 minimum price was maybe $2,000) After an hour of playing or so another guitar player came in and we spent the afternoon playing together trying different guitars. We both came to the conclusion that while they were all good guitars, there were 3-4 (memory) that we both agreed were special and one that was magic.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    MarkA, yeah I wish I knew more about the 400s. I'm just diving in and building an 18" archtop similar to how I would build a 17" (for acoustic tone, not worrying about pickups and such). I've just heard they tended to be not very loud, maybe I read the same article from Mr. Grosz who knows I can't remember where I heard that.
  • @Bones haven’t field tested yet but I know the guy well and he choose from a half dozen Epis ant Gruhn’s, so I expect it’s fine!
    He’s getting cold feet on Tele trade as he thinks he’ll never play it, which I dig as I never do! I do have a potential buyer but would love be to unload it ASAP and move on! I may bottom line the price and put on here and on Reverb.
    Not that it's going to sway you in your search but last night went to see Martin Taylor and his sound was wonderful. It's his own designed guitar he says. Interestingly he doesn't mention who exactly is building them, only says master craftsmen in London. It's branded under his name too. He's playing with it though and it's not unreasonably priced for a hand made, hand carved top archtop $5250 shipped with a Hiscox case. It really looks like a beauty.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • I wish I had that much dough, Buco! I’d have to sell two guitars for that and I’m not willing to part with but the Tele.