DjangoBooks.com

Best archtops?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Ha, believe it or not, I've been in 2 'acoustic' bands that had the cops called to house parties that we were playing at. Too funny. The cops showed up and said something like 'hey, that sounds pretty good!'

PS- remember that one time Scoredog??? :-)

PPS- at the other one the lead player started playing an acoustic version of some 60s rock protest anthem type thing (I can't remember which one). Those GJ'ers are so RADICAL!
    vanmalmsteen
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited June 2018 Posts: 513
    I got the Epiphone Masterbilt Century Zenith Classic, 16” archtop, and for $650 (including shipping), I am satisfied with it for Eddie Lang, Freddie Green and Charlie Christian stuff. It has a built in mic/pickup that does not sound like a piezo. If anyone is interested, I can post sound samples:

I’m backing up folks in this video:

Lango-DjangoBucot-birdBillDaCostaWilliams
  • DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Stringphonic #503 Basic, Altamira M30D, Eastman AR810CE, Giannini Craviola
    I have an Eastman AR810CE-SB Uptown Archtop. Wonderful guitar for the price. Sounds great acoustically, though not as loud as my gypsy jazz guitars, but very nice tone. Has built-in floating pickup and it works really well for rhythm and lead when I do rock and blues covers when I perform solo with backing tracks. I tried a few of the less expensive archtops at the big box store, and none of them came close to matching the tone or feel of my Eastman.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Bopster, that guitar sounds great for rhythm.

If you have any tracks of it playing lead, I'd love to hear 'em...

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    @Lango-Django - this is the guitar on the lead.
    BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
    Bopster, thanks for posting, that is a very sweet sounding guitar!

True, the entire world may be going to hell in many ways, but OTOH it is truly amazing that one can buy a beautiful looking archtop for $650 which sounds like that!

The next question for me is, what strings do you use?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Not quite Eddie Lang gauge strings, but a little heavier than our GJ needs.
    Thirteens... yow. Oh, yes, I remember them well.

But I've come to really love those tens and elevens...
    Bones

• ronzo4600ronzo4600 PNWNew Eimer's, Lebreton & Selmer
    The next question for me is, what strings do you use?

Try the Martin Retro, custom light monel. Available in 10's and 11's for the archtop. I use them on the Dupont and Gibson and they're more than adequate for GJ and aren't nearly as fatiguing as 13s, 14's or 15's.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    Light-gauge strings--especially sets with a .010 or .011 high E--might be easier on the hands*, but they're not going to serve the sound of an archtop well. I've put lightish Monels or other pickup-friendly sets on my Eastman and gotten decent electric sound, but for the guitar to speak in its best voice acoustically, I use mediums--.056-.013. (Though I sometimes drop a gauge on the high E and B, because as a rhythm player I don't depend on those all that much.)

One of the most annoying things about test-playing acoustic archtops in shops is that they're often strung too lightly (and sometimes with flatwounds) and as a result sound anemic.

* And on a really well-set-up archtop, the heavier strings aren't all that much harder to play, though you're not going to get the bends you do on a light-strung Selmer-style. Of course, hands vary, and mine, so far, still can manage mediums.
    MarkA