DjangoBooks.com

Bugera AC60 acoustic amp?

V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
Bugera AC60! Has anyone tried this thing? See attached pic. It looks almost identical to an AER in terms of design and features but I'm wondering if the similarities end there. The $250 price tag is very appealing though, and there's a used one in my neck of the woods for $150! I'm a very happy AER Alpha owner, but for that price I might swoop it up and A/B the two just to satisfy my curiosity.

EDIT: I went ahead and bought it. Full write up and A/B sound samples here:
http://paniquejazz.com/blog/bugera-ac60-vs-aer-alpha/

j6facqqa46kg.jpg
pickitjohn

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Just ordered one of these, should arrive Saturday 20th. Will let you know what it's like once it arrives.
    always learning
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    You also might be able to use it as an extension amp to your AER, I'm thinking it might be a good inexpensive solution.
  • psychebillypsychebilly Kentucky, USA
    I couldn't resist and got one, too...receiving it tomorrow...we'll see how it sounds..
    Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Great stuff, it'll be interesting to hear your view on it.
    always learning
    Hi all. My Bugera AC60 arrived today and I've been pkaying with it for a couple of hours. I don't have an AER to compare it with so I can't do an a/b comparison. My usual amp is a Fishman Mini Loudbox which I use regularly with a singer. I've never been happy with my guitar sound through the Fishman but the mic channel on it is superb. I use an Audio Technica 731b through a Headway EDB 1 preamp. Using the same setup on the Bugera gave a really good sound to my ears using either the line out or the xlr out with a jack adapter. The only thing I thought strange was that on the guitar channel I had to turn the bass and mid to 0 and the treble all the way up. I tried the mic channel and, to be honest, I don't think it's as good as the mic channel on the Fishman but I'll test it out tomorrow with our singer. On the plus side the Bugera looks well made, the fx aren't bad if a bit fiddly to set up and it's much lighter than the Fishman. Given that it only cost 148 pounds I think any criticism pales into insignificance. The next step will be to try it with a piezo equipped guitar.
    ScoredogbopsterBuco
    always learning
    I used the Bugera yesterday and it worked really well so I'll be using this as my main amp. I was pleased with the overall sound and I have only started to scratch the surface with this.
    Scoredog
    always learning
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I read an online review at another site which said that the Bugara runs at really low (20%) power, making it a good candidate to use with a battery... have you tried that?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    I'm strictly a mains power guy.
    always learning
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 Posts: 325
    Veering a bit off topic, but since you brought it up, I've used my AER alpha as well as some 15 watt fender tube amps with a lithium ion camping battery (some $200 thing off Amazon) for gigs many times. At the volumes I play I have never had an issue with power. I've never run the battery down but my estimation is it would run 8 hours or so. Definitely has lasted me multiple gigs and I'm surprised more people don't do this. The battery is the size of a small lunchbox and only weighs a few pounds.
    Buco
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    V-dub wrote: »
    Veering a bit off topic, but since you brought it up, I've used my AER alpha as well as some 15 watt fender tube amps with a lithium ion camping battery (some $200 thing off Amazon) for gigs many times.

V-dub, do you have any links or références for the battery you use? What type of connectors does it have? Thanks