DjangoBooks.com

Bugera AC60 acoustic amp?

Comments

• edited October 2018 Posts: 4,735
    I looked for lithium ion camping battery on Amazon and there are several.
    This battery in theory would give you 6 hrs of run time for Bugera amp being that is rated to use 30W but we don't know how they calculate that so if at high volume it could be and probably is more than that. Still you should be able to play an outdoor gig with it.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 Posts: 325
    Buco wrote: »
    I looked for lithium ion camping battery on Amazon and there are several.
    This battery in theory would give you 6 hrs of run time for Bugera amp being that is rated to use 30W but we don't know how they calculate that so if at high volume it could be and probably is more than that. Still you should be able to play an outdoor gig with it.

This is the one I got: Suaoki 222Wh Portable Generator Power Source

I like it because it also comes with two usb ports so I can charge my phone too.

I loaned it to a buddy and he ran a QSC Powered PA speaker, a mixing board, and microphone off it to amplify a wedding ceremony of 100 people in the woods. He said it worked great.

One thing though: with magnetic pickups, you get a lot of hum when you're not touching the strings. That's probably because there is no grounding when the thing isn't connected to the ground!
    Buco
    Well. I bought the Bugera AC60 too. The $150 used one on Craigslist was sitting there calling to me for a couple of weeks and I snapped it up yesterday just to satisfy my curiosity. I was pleased to find that it was virtually unused. The guy was a home player that didn't gig (he even asked me if I wanted to start a band over email before even meeting me!), so it was still in the box with vinyl protective covers still on it.

After picking it up I took it straight to a gig (no doubt it's first) where I planned to use it for half the night. I ended up using it for two sets and switched back to the AER for the quick last set. In short: I didn't notice a "night and day" difference that would justify the $650 premium. I simply set it up the way I would an AER and I didn't have a miserable time with tone or trying to dial it in. In my experience, "Not being miserable" = high marks in the acoustic guitar amplification space. Both my bandmates were also using AER amps and they too were quite surprised.

It's clear this is a direct knock-off of the compact 60. The controls are identical.

I'm in the unique position of owning both an AER Alpha and now this Bugera amp, so today I set them both up side by side with an A/B switch.

Initial impressions: I'm very impressed. Any differences between the two are down a matter of preference. If there's enough interest, I can records some samples and post them on my blog, shootout style.

Oh who am I kidding, of course there's enough interest. I'll get to it soon.

lmklral43b4z.png
    ScoredogBucobopsterJim Kaznosky
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! sounds like I'm getting one as at least an extension.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    V-dub, great post. As I said I don't have an AER to compare but, for the money, I was impressed by the Bugera. I noticed on a related post that someone rubbished the Bugera as being built with sub standard components in China. It may well be built in China but so what, what isn't these days.
    always learning
  • The amps are nice but let's talk about that gorgeous guitar. What is it?
    Buco
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 Posts: 872
    The issue with being built in China is will it last...who knows, the AER has been great and solid but at this price its worth a shot. Question also, I presume there is a direct out, if so can the effects go through there or is it dry?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    edited October 2018 Posts: 921
    The Bugera has the same compliment of ins/outs on the back as the AER. There's an effects loop, a tuner out, a headphone out, a footswitch socket, a line out and a DI out. I assume the DI out includes the effects internal and anything put through the fx send/return.
    As for it's long term reliability I have no reason to believe it's not going to last. I have had a little Bugera 5 watt valve amp which Ive had for 6 or 7 years and it's still going strong.
    always learning
    The amps are nice but let's talk about that gorgeous guitar. What is it?

:) a '47 Epiphone Blackstone w/ a vintage gold dearmond rhythm chief pickup. I use it for almost everything.
    Scoredog wrote: »
    The issue with being built in China is will it last...who knows, the AER has been great and solid but at this price its worth a shot. Question also, I presume there is a direct out, if so can the effects go through there or is it dry?

There is an XLR direct out. The outputs identical to the AER compact 60 (direct out, send, tuner, footswitch, phones return), I assume the effect behavior would be identical.

I'm starting think the whole "made in China" stereotype is starting to change. Since the iPhone hit big there, manufacturers are starting to pay attention to quality over moving product. Also when you look at Eastman, the Loar, and Altamira they are the only factories willing to build for niche markets. I really wish someone could convince Gibson or Heritage to put out a 30s-style L5 reissue. They don't care, they just want to appeal to what will sell to rockers. IMO no one needs more takes on les pauls and telecasters :/

More thoughts on the amps:
    • with flat EQ, I'm finding that tone for magnetic pickup archtop is quite similar on both... very nice, full, and musical.
    • with microphones (AT 831b) it's different. the AER sounds more crisp and bright w/ flat EQ. The bugera has more bass and mid-range (could be a physical issue of the larger cabinet) I need to turn the treble on the Bugera to about 75% to match it.
    • Some other differences: it has a built-in kick back stand (similar to the roland ac60) which is I like very much. The speaker mount on the underside is a standard wider diameter stand type, not the screw-on type. There is an 3.5 mm AUX/line in on the top control panel. AFIAK there isn't one on the AER (I usually use the send/return with an adapter)
    • The bugera seems to take a few extra seconds to turn on. The AER is instantly on.
    • The controls are more plasticky and cheap-looking
    • It doesn't come with a fitted carrying case and there isn't one available to buy. Too bad. I use the AER case shoulder strap all the time, takes a lot of pressure off your arms when you're walking a few blocks
    • one of the gain pots is a little scratchy, which is easily fixed with some contact cleaner, but might be a general indication of the quality of parts.
    Jim KaznoskyBuco
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    V-dub wrote: »
    The amps are nice but let's talk about that gorgeous guitar. What is it?

I really wish someone could convince Gibson or Heritage to put out a 30s-style L5 reissue. They don't care, they just want to appeal to what will sell to rockers. IMO no one needs more takes on les pauls and telecasters :/

Well, your prayers may have been answered with this model: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/2018-dupont-lloyd

Maurice really nailed the 20s L5 sound with this model. It's very resonant, with volume rivaling a Gypsy guitar but with more of that archtop, midrange clarity and focus. Several customers who play vintage L5s have bought these Lloyd models as gigging guitars and can't believe how close they are to the 20s models!