13»

Comments

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Now you can be the judge:

Full write up and A/B sound samples here:
    http://paniquejazz.com/blog/bugera-ac60-vs-aer-alpha/
    Bucowim
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    thanks for doing that, also appreciate the humor...:)
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Brilliant review. I have to say I think the Bugera is very, very close to the AER in terms of sound. In terms of value for money I think it - the Bugera - is amazing. FYI I found a company in the UK which makes a padded cover for the Bugera. I find it ironic that the amp cost 150 uk pounds brand new and the cover cost me 45 pounds, almost a third of the price of the amp.
    always learning
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Listening again to the A/B comparisons I think I actually prefer the sound of the Bugera.
    always learning
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited November 2018 Posts: 513
    Archtop, resonator and violin all are sounding killer. Mics with each, and DeArmond on the archtop. No preamp necessary yet. Feedback has not been issue.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/gadgo4/

• JDRookeJDRooke New

So, I just got one. Respectfully, I have to disagree with the above poster. I listened to the clips and thought they sounded like different amps. I have now purchased one and can verify that the Bugera AC60 has nothing to do with AER amps. It's pure marketing BS.

That said, the Bugera AC60 stands on it's own in terms of sound/features/price. I'm loving mine. I played through mine next to my bandmate playing through his AER Compact. The AER is a better, louder, more potent amp. But, the Bugera sounds great and actually fit/contrasted nicely when played next to the AER Compact.

So, in sum, the Bugera AC60 has zero to do with any AER product. But, it doesn't have to because it provides solid sonic and feature bang for the buck.

Having listened again to the clips you're right they sound like 2 different amps, don't know why I thought they sounded more similar. Having said that I still prefer the sound of the Bugera.

JDRooke
    always learning
  • JDRookeJDRooke New
    edited July 2019 Posts: 87

Me too. I really like it. The extra ins and outs are handy. For small to mid-sized gigs, it'll do for sure. The AER Compact, on the other hand, is much more potent, I would think it could handle an order of magnitude larger gigs than the Bugera. But, then again, you save a grand with the AC60.

..and the Bugera is five pounds lighter, which cinched the deal for me. A 15 pound amp is way easier to carry than a 20 pound one for me, a one-legged fellow.

To my ear AER is a better amp based on those clips. More detail to the sound, I'd think it represents the natural voice of the guitar better. I might even agree that I prefer the sound of Bugera but that's because it's warmer. But with everything else equal, the AER is more true to the source.
    JDRooke
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel