DjangoBooks.com

Recommendations for a comfortable guitar-practising chair... ?

Comments

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Always looking at this too. Saw a folding dining room chair at Bed Bath. Sat in it and it felt comfortable for cushioned tush and back support. Good height, too. Looks like a regular cushioned chair, but it folds, so I can store it out of the way. That’s what I’m using now.

I often regret sitting in my wooden office chair at the desk with the computer when I’m too lazy to pull it out the practice chair out. I find myself sitting twisted to avoid the armrest, then I’m feeling it in my back at the end of the night from hunching over.

Once splurged on an actual musician’s chair from Amazon. (See below.) It folds, is cushioned back and seat, AND has adjustable height. Ended up donating to the coffeehouse where I play so I’d always have a good chair to sit in, and other musicians would benefit too.

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesmac63000
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

A lot of interesting answers.

For me, the most comfortable thing is to play sitting on a sofa.

But I don’t have one in my practise room...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • TwangTwang New

I bought one of these guitar chairs about 15 years ago. I dont like the funny shape of the seat but I put one of those memory cushions on so its more comfortable. What I really do like is the padding on the very low back rest. This pushes into the small of your back and really feels comfortable and supportive. I like a footstool too. I suffer with sciatica so healthy diet, no smoking or drinking and regular exercises to develop my core strength have helped more than any chair.

Not saying that I've strictly adhered to the above though!

https://originalguitarchair.com

matthewkanisBillDaCostaWilliams
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

I second the Adjustrite chair. I carry it to gigs.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Or the "Original Guitar Chair" (expensive):

https://originalguitarchair.com/

• edited September 2020 Posts: 92

Holy crap, those are $400. Really cool looking though. Not sure how I feel about that cut away front, less surface area for the posterior. I would like to sit in one before I drop that much coin on a chair. But does look really well designed.

A friend got one of those at the music festival as a demo for $200. The rep told us they're hand made, usually per order by a couple at the small shop.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

The height on the "Original Guitar Chair" is not adjustable, so you really have to know exactly what height works best for you, and compare it with their height (or special order).

• TwangTwang New

Mine was made in Rumania out of Carpathian oak apparently. Its built like a tank and aint gonna break in my lifetime. I think the design has been around a long time and different people have taken over the business and manufacture. it is a lot of money but it does make a difference cos I use it every day. How much music gear that I own can I say that about?

• Twang, is your chair the standard 19 inch seat height? Is it really extremely comfortable with great back support?