DjangoBooks.com

Recommendations for a comfortable guitar-practising chair... ?

13»

Comments

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Oh they didn't advertise it but the chair also makes you a cup of coffee in the morning 😂

Buco
  • TwangTwang New

Yes it's the standard height. I think I'm about 5' 8" so am not tall and this seems perfect for me. The back of the chair is very low and not angled back so when you sit down this big wedge of padding pushes hard into your lower back. It feels really good and if you have pain in this area you'll likely play for longer in this chair.

What I really don't like is the shape of the seat. All my weight seems to be on one side of the seat and the cutaway bit digs into my leg after a while. I have overcome this by getting one of those memory foam cushions but it raises my sitting position a bit.

I would never sell it because despite it's short comings, I haven't found anything more comfortable. I bought it in 2005, it's really well made but I'm sure the ownership has changed since then so the new ones might be better, might be worse.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

The Adjustrite chair has pretty good lower back support and a more traditional seat shape. But it doesn't have a higher back support for relaxing.

Here's another alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/Wenger-Premier-Music-Posture-Chair/dp/B014X11A1Y

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I know I already posted, but wanted to add a bit more about why I think the Roc-N-Soc is the best you can get for gigging:

1. Relatively inexpensive (~$250 new with backrest, can find deals or used $130+)
    2. Sturdy AF (you can throw these in the back of your car, and not worry about breaking anything other than your car)
    3. Small footprint (setup in small spaces, nearly invisible when playing - so don't worry about your "aesthetic")
    4. Easy to carry (Gig bag on your back, speaker in one hand, collapsed throne in the other and you have a 1-trip load-in)
    5. Super Adjustable (both height and backrest)
    6. Comfortable for long periods (done 8-10 hour live sound engineering gigs with one)
    7. Super stable (play leaning-back cross legged near the edge of a stage with the rubber feet and move an inch)
    8. All-terrain (sticky bar floor? check. Wet grass for a wedding? check. Janky stage that wobbles a bit? check. Gravel, because let's put the musicians in the worst spot in the venue without shade because "I like them over in this spot... it just feel right?" Check.)

I feel that good seating is important like good footwear. Cheap will physically hurt you over time. There are other great options that won't hurt you (e.g. Herman Millers, Wengers, etc.), but I don't think any of them are as versatile as a Roc-N-Soc throne.

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Pick up a used padded folding chair on craigslist. Probably will find a decent one for $10-20.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

If you don't need to move it around, armless office swivel chairs with lower back support (the chairs with five legs on rollers) are good. So long as you can lock it upright. They're height-adjustable, too.

matthewkanis