DjangoBooks.com

What pick?

Comments

• dboxdbox New

Wim, are you holding the pick like that for lead and rythmn? I've been doing so for rythmn, but using the pointy end of my Kily Nonis and Dunlop prime tone 5mm picks for lead. Using the round end feels awfully close to the fingers? (I'm just starting out so please excuse the noob questions!)

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Yes I hold it the same for lead and rhythm. It does get close to the fingers, and even scuff up the skin at the base of the fingernail a somewhat. But if you're playing regularly that skin toughens up pretty quickly.

rudolfochrist
  • Using the side of the gator picks is really common but I’ve never gotten use to it and using the pointy end for me works fine, Dennis demonstrated both in a video once and admits that it makes very little difference in sound to the audience, but the subtle difference is worth enough for some people to swear by it.

jonpowlrudolfochrist
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I use gator grip 2.O's when I play with my archtop & I always use the side of the pick for lead & rhythm. I find it gives me a little more control when I solo & it makes it easier for me to play rhythm a little quiter. But when I play my Altamira's, I use a **** 2.9, and I use the pointy end.

vanmalmsteen

Blue Chip for me. Although I wouldn't mind trying that Japanese pick if they ship internationally.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • The 50 is slightly sharper at the corners. I tried both, and I think the 50 is better for soloing and still works great for rhythm playing. Every month or so I try my Wegens and Dunlops again to see if I’ve fooled myself into thinking these weird Tantan picks are as good as they are. And every time I do, the results are the same. They play fast and there’s still a “sharp” tone with every note. It’s almost contradictory how well they work. Anyway, I’m living back in the USA now, so I hope the extra two picks I have last a long time.

• lv92lv92 New

Thanks to everyone, gonna try the dunlop gator trip 2mm first

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I think one point that hasn't been mentioned yet that's very important: stick to a pick

Having a different pick for lead vs rhythm just doesn't work when playing live with others. I also personally found that spinning a pick (blunt side for rhythm, pointy for lead) doesn't work either over time on a gig or a long jam.

Jazz III will likely be too small, but you can try Wegen Big City picks which are very popular among the more virtuosic, mostly lead playing, pros (Stochelo, Bireli, Joscho). These probably won't feel like a big jump which is nice. However, with as small and pointy the pick is, getting a good upstroke on your la pompe will be difficult. But, they're not too expensive (~$20 for 4 picks).

If you want to try a big, thick pick (more typical of gypsy jazz) that also has a bit of a point the Wegen 3.5 white gypsy jazz is another popular pick. Yea, it's a lot more expensive than others (~$17 for one), but not to the point of **** Picks, BlueChip, or Killy Nonis (~$30 - $90).

Once you've found a pick that feels good enough - stick with it! Swapping picks a lot while learning the rest-stroke and to play a gypsy jazz guitar can delay your progress as the different feel will change how you play a bit.

lv92TwangBillDaCostaWilliamsdjazzy
  • lv92lv92 New
    edited September 2020 Posts: 31

I could find the brands you mentioned except for **** picks, where i can look at those?

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited September 2020 Posts: 187

Hah - it's an auto-filter on this website, since that brand is a direct competitor to Michael as the owner sells guitars. However, he also consults on designing the Altamira guitars, and hand-makes bridges and picks. I personally prefer his picks over all the others I've tried as the material (galalith) sounds the best to my ears. His shop is in L.A.

If you Google Christiaan Van Hemert, you can find some videos of the owner. He even made Christiaan a custom pick (CVH) that is basically the Wegen Big City, but in galalith and slightly pointer. The result is a clearer attack and more volume - which I personally prefer.

Edit: Video about picks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=GzdpLUs4yPU&feature=emb_title

lostjohn