DjangoBooks.com

What pick?

Comments

• lv92lv92 New

@ChristopheCarington you mentioned picks at 90$, where? I'm curious 😆

• TwangTwang New

Manouche picks offer a material called Rhinoforce. If you order a rhinoforce pick then it can work out expensive. It’s meant to be good though.

• TwangTwang New

Actually can’t see it on the website anymore.

• lv92lv92 New

Seems like they don't produce anymore with that material

• It's the player, not the pick.

lv92rudolfochristBucomac63000
  • lv92lv92 New

Sure thing. The player needs a pick he likes first tough

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

It's the player, not the pick.

The player is 90$?

lv92wimBuco
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 1,231

In NYC, it's a lot less because of the cost of living.

You'll do fine with anything that's recommended here if you use it constantly, as someone else stated. Or you can buy a shitload of picks and figure out what you like. I personally don't like the pointy stuff and gravitate more towards mando style picks. Good for rhythm and leads. That would fall in line with the dunlop gator played on its side, recommended earlier in the thread. Also, you can find the wegen and blue chip mando pick, as well as the golden gate versions.

jonpowlrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,730

Bill's Niglo is great pick. This is all subjective but my experience is more pick = more click. For a a fat GJ tone you don't have to go over 2mm. I use Blue Chip 1.6mm and it's plenty fat sounding with a very minimal click. On the other hand you have players like Duved and Rino van Hooijdonk who say if you wanna play GJ you need 5mm. I bought one of Rino's hand made picks which was phenomenal in every way except the dreaded click that I couldn't un-hear. So I gave it away. Jokko's picks (Manouche Picks) come very close to Blue Chip at 1/3 of the price. Actually some match the tone but wear a lot faster. Then some match the wear but the tone is too bright for my taste. He offers several materials and is constantly experimenting and changing so I don't doubt he's going to find a perfect formula. It's already perfect for a lot of people. Like Jim I prefer rounded tip.

Oh and Blue Chip in the thickest gauge will run you $70-80. Crazy I know. The cheapest is what I got, $40. But for me it's the first fancy pick that I didn't feel I could've done without it after a while. The classic Wegen never did it for me, we never clicked even though it was clicking on every note. Big City is nice, I liked that one. But it's nuts, you could spend $500 testing every single fancy pick out there. I kinda envy people who use the sideways gators and never get an itch to try others.

lv92BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakeswimmac63000Twang
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel