DjangoBooks.com

What pick?

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I think each pick has its own best playing style, considering the pick's thickness, bevel shape, and pointiness/roundness of tip.

And that playing style is also affected by string stiffness, action and neck relief.

The "playing style" I think includes tightness/looseness of grip, angle of pick to strings (i.e., degree to which left side of pick strikes sooner than right side), and maybe how far the pick sticks out.

Buco
  • lv92lv92 New

Anyone experienced with the Killy Nonis Turbo?

• lv92lv92 New

Also looking to buy a Killy Nonis Turbo G in Jade, 4 mm.

What is the difference between a thick pick and thinier like 2 mm?

Also chatted with the manufacturer, he talked to me about a "click" provocked by that pick, what does it mean?

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited September 2020 Posts: 187

"Click" or "chirp" is the sound your pick makes when striking a string, around the 10khz - 12khz frequency. All picks have this. More surface area hitting the strings = more click. Pointier picks have less surface area, so they generally have less click. However very thick picks can have a heavy bevel that reduces their click. Material also influences clickiness, with material that is more porous or rough creating more click.

Honestly, I would just drop a little bit of money on two standard picks available from Michael to hear it yourself.

Classic Wegen Gypsy Jazz pick: https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/wegen_1

Wegen Big City "virtuoso" pick (specifically the 1.8mm version): https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/big_city_white

Many gypsy players use these two as standards for a reason, and it'll give you a good frame of reference about what you do/don't like about a pick. Plus, the white color is easily seen if dropped in a dark floor during a gig/jam.

Side note: even if you find you don't like one of the picks - keep it on you when you go to gigs/jams. It's an investment in making friends. Just like bumming cigarettes, guitarists bum picks - and it's a good way to meet some new people "oh, you forgot your pick? Here, you can borrow my Wegen" is a good way to break the ice.

lv92Buco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Talk about icebreakers. I remember a guy walking around DiJ several years ago with a small box of random picks he was giving away for free. I ended up picking up a Niglo that I really liked. $20+ pick he just gave away. Good icebreaker indeed! If you are out there reading this, thanks for that!

lv92Buco
  • lv92lv92 New

Wow, some of those Niglo picks seems more likely to be jewerly than made for picking! 😄

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 Posts: 274

I make these

rudolfochristmac63000Buco
  • TwangTwang New

How do you get one?

rudolfochrist
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭

Just send me a message