DjangoBooks.com

mp3 blog

Comments

• RichRich New
    Glad to hear you got the people responsible for putting that stuff up there.

Just out of interest, how did you go about getting the ip's and names of the people who downloaded it? Surely you must have had to deal with numerous different isp companys who i'm sure wouldn't be willing to give out their customers' details.. and how can you be sure the person who downloaded it owned the computer they used to download it?

I'm just curious as i've heard people in similar situations, who never managed to get hold of information like this..
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    edited July 2006 Posts: 159
    I am curious if this idiot had actually scanned the whole book or what he did?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Don't worry...we'll take care not to prosecute people who are genuine customers. My lawyer is one of the top intellectual property lawyers in the US. He deals with this stuff all the time...I'm honored that he does all this for me pro-bono (he's part of the lawyer's for the arts program).
  • RichRich New
    My lawyer is one of the top intellectual property lawyers in the US.

Fair enough.. but again.. how can you possibly tell who has bought the book and who hasn't? Your not the only supplier of this book right?
    We'll take it on a case by case basis. I only have a few other retailers, and they have records of who bought as well.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi, all.

When all the dust settles from this I think part of me will still believe that the original blogger was onto something. Obviously (I hope) I don't mean all the illegal sharing, but to me the idea of a site dedicated to exposing people to this music has a lot of merit. The question, of course, is how to do it in a way that actually helps musicians.

When I first posted a comment on the site, I had to sign up for my own blog, which I haven't used at all; now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth starting something. Posting clips with links to legit places to buy the albums isn't too hard, but if I go ahead with it I'd like to feature not just Angelo, Bireli, et al, but also lesser known (and especially unsigned) bands from all over. If you've got something on CDBaby or some similar site, I'd be glad to spread the word.

So: If anyone's interested, send me a PM, and we can figure out how to get your disc to me for review and from there to a wider audience. I CAN at least promise you I won't post the entire thing online for any schmo to download.

Let me know,
    Jack.
    Why don't you just do that here? I can set up a special forum for you can you can uplaod clips right here.

'm
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    Here's a really good music blog:

http://www.la-underground.net/

The person that runs it goes to a lot of shows and takes photos, checks out a lot of local bands, and includes mp3s that are available on the artists' sites. Most of the reviews are positive, because the writer seems genuinely excited about going to shows and making new discoveries, but they're not afraid to call bands on the carpet when they put out a bad album or play a lackluster show.

I dunno...just thought you might like to see a music blog that, in my opinion, works.

(Full disclosure: They gave a pretty nice review to the Django Night show that I organized.)
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Wow, Rod, that is a really nice-looking blog, and a useful one for the area. What I like best is that the reviews are informative and positive. That makes sense because who wants to read a negative review, really? If you can't find anything nice to say, etc. The idea is to promote the good stuff. Let the market itself stifle the bad.

Nice remarks about your show, Mr. Impresario!

Cheers,
    Ando
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Jack wrote:
    When I first posted a comment on the site, I had to sign up for my own blog, which I haven't used at all; now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth starting something. Posting clips with links to legit places to buy the albums isn't too hard, but if I go ahead with it I'd like to feature not just Angelo, Bireli, et al, but also lesser known (and especially unsigned) bands from all over. If you've got something on CDBaby or some similar site, I'd be glad to spread the word.
    Michael wrote:
    Why don't you just do that here? I can set up a special forum for you can you can uplaod clips right here.

A kind offer! I think, though, that the CD review forum is probably good enough for us; if anyone on the forum wants to share, it's a pretty good bet they'll find a ready audience. My thought was that if it was a site that was part of a different community-like the Blogger thing-more people might run across it who otherwise wouldn't hear much of the music.

Besides, I spend way too much time here already! It's getting to the point where some of my best friends are people I've never met...

Best,
    Jack.