DjangoBooks.com

CS Sensor sweet spot

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Good luck, Tomas, hope it works out just the way you want it to!

And I look forward to one day visiting the Czech Republic and hearing your band.

Will

BucoTomas
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

I feel a difference when amplified. I think that feeling is diminished when a mic is used. Because a piezo or contact mic amplifies everything through the body. But as mic doesn't seem to do that as much. Until feedback of course.

I think a solution would be to try and turn down the monitors.

I have to say the rhythm sound of DuPont Stimer model made me think of selling my Krivos. How rich did that sound and somehow just musical; full, round, open.

Tomas
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

Thank you Lango-Django. I really appreciate it. Hope that too. But I'm not professional musician, so don't come here just to listen my band. Not worth it. :D I really looking forward to playing in public. It's forbidden here yet.

And Buco..I hope kleio 47 will be similar to stimer. I love the old school soud with nuance amp or stimer or peche ala mouche amp. But it's too much money for it yet. Any cheaper alternative to this amps?

Thank you all again.

Buco

Doesn't have to be a premium boutique amp. Pretty much anything that's not junk, is a small wattage tube amp is going to give you that magic sound with one of these pickups.

I'm curious with you CS sensor, did you get a good sound when mounted externally on the top?

Lastly you could try getting in touch with Carlos via FB.

• TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

@Buco Sound was better outside. I don't know why. But I will try it on some acoustic amp to be sure how good or bad it is. I don't have any and now it's hard to test some. Shops are closed and events too.

I have Laney ST for magnetic pickup and it's not that bad. I expect just a nice toy. But it's good just for really small club. But I can't compare. It's my first guitar combo. :D I was bassplayer all my life so I have just bass amp. Somebody sell fender champ 600. I wonder...is it able to use? I don't know how it works, because it have just one knob...volume. But it's really cheap for retro all tube amp.

Ok at least you know it can sound good. I would think you should be able to get it to sound just as nice of better inside. Just need to land on the right spot. Not a direct comparation, Jokko recommends completely different spot for inside vs outside mount. If you have Facebook try sending Carlos a message.

Search the forum for Fender Champ, it's been mentioned many times for exactly the same purpose. I remember people said it can work well. If you can get it at the good price, it's certainly worth trying and if it's not "it" then sell it again.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Internal placement for this device is tricky. I'd recommend against it unless done professionally.

Crookedpinky's placement is the most common. It can get a little confusing where to place it because you want to judge the most complete range of reproduction through a clean amp made for this type of pickup. Try not to be too fussy, and settle for a spot that sounds most natural. I have mine placed like Crookedpinky's, but I lead the wire under the tailpiece and tuck it near where I have the plug mounted externally.

The manufacturer recommends using a specific in-line graphic EQ to tweak the final sound. It's a Tom'sline Guitar EQ Analog 5-band Equalizer, and you can pick one up from Amazon for $30. You can also use an LR Baggs Para Acoustic to shape the sound if you have one, but it's more expensive and not necessary.

I run mine through a Schertler David Acoustic, and this setup is the end of the long and hair-pulling winding road to good amplified acoustic sound for just about any venue.

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I'm very happy with the current sound I get from the CS sensor through a Bugera AC60 - basically an AER Compact 60 knock off. But, as ever, after reading Chiefbigeasy's post I've just bought a Caline 10 band eq from Amazon UK for £45. I'll see how it works with the Sensor but I've got loads of other things I can use it with - that's me justifying the purchase.

always learning
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

When it comes to amplifying magnetic pick ups, just about any amp will do. That’s a distinct advantage, especially cost-wise, to that style of pick up. That amplified style is very different from a truly “acoustic” sound, but it has a distinct and useful history in this kind of music. If I’m using my Peche a la Mouche, I’ll use my Fender Super Champ amplifier. It’s a perfect small gig size amp, and it really does the job with tube sound and a magnetic pick up.

if it isn’t obvious already, the sensor and other pick ups like it require a specific kind of amplifier. Many tend to be more expensive, but there are less expensive varieties that will also do the trick. One bonus of my Schertler amp is I can attach a volume footpedal. That’s cheating a little, I guess, but it comes in very handy in a gig situation to transition from rhythm to solo and back.

Buco