DjangoBooks.com

CS Sensor sweet spot

13»

Comments

• TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

About buying EQ I have been thinking for long time. Thanks. I just bought a mojomojo pedal from TC and it's quite cleaver little thing if you want a old school dirty sound. It's similar to nocturne jr. barnyard, but for 45$ and it's incredible. With my Gabojo kleio everything sound like prewar amp. Low compression. And it's working well like preamp for my CS sensor. And with low gain it's sounds much better than before. So I ordered another...because..why not for 45$? :D And I made a decision. I will make my own 30s amp similar to stimer M6 for much less price. But with lot of cheating. :D I will make a post about that later with photos and so on.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Got a Caline CP24 10 band graphic EQ for £40 from Amazon. I've tried with my Keio 47 pickup and my Burny ES175 guitars. It's a very quiet and transparent sound and with 10 bands of eq to play with it provides great flexibility in the sounds. Next up I'll try it with my Carlos sensor.

cass
    always learning
  • casscass Pennsylvania New AJL XO, DuPont MD100, Gitane DG255

Has anyone done a direct comparison of the Carlos Sensor to the K&K Definity or Pure Maccaferri? I have both K&K’s with mediocre results and have been wondering if the Sensor would be better! I asked this question a while back and it seemed to draw the general opinion most sound board pickups were basically the same, but at the time no one did a direct comparison. Thanks, Jim

• nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

I can't comment on the K&K or Pure but I have both an externally mountable CS Sensor for my Corazon and an internally mounted one on my Marin and both are great. I have used them DI into a preamp as well as direct into a Supro Black Magick and I really like them. The internally mounted one has some nice controls for volume, tone and gain that you can adjust from just inside the soundhole. If you're wanting to get it mounted internally you need to give **** a shout. He does a great job.

cass
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I had a K&K pure three pickup thing installed internally on my Alex Bishop d hole and to be honest it was mediocre. It was installed by an experienced luthier who thought it was the best sounding one he had ever installed. For me it didn't sound anything like the guitar should have sounded. I tried a Headway preamp - a db1 I think - but that didn't really help. Then I tried Jokkos 'mic' which was better but more tricky to get the sweet spot. The Carlos doesn't seem to be as limited in where the sweet spot is.

I've seen a lot of players - Lollo Meier for example - using similar pickups to the K&K pure Maccaferri and get a great sound. I think there are so many variables at play here that, frankly, the end result depends largely on luck.

cass
    always learning
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

I've installed K&K pickup systems that come with their own internal goose-neck mic. They have separate EQ and volume controls for the piezos and the mic. The combination worked pretty well -- best sound was more mic-heavy (but always some piezo); best feedback resistance was more piezo-heavy. Piezos were inside guitar, under bridge area.

cass
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

A friend (excellent guitarist) and I installed a CS sensor onto an Altamira D hole today. After a fair amount of placement experimentation, the best place seemed to be on the guitar top, just south of the bridge, under the treble foot (just like crookedpinky has it).

I had originally thought about drilling out the tailblock and tailpiece for a threaded jack and mounting the pickup on top of the vertical treble foot brace on the interior. While doable, that would have been more complicated and drilling/reaming a tailblock hole is of course irreversible. We mounted the Carlos jack to the tailpiece with velcro, and looped the wire under the tailpiece, taking up the wire-slack with a strip of velcro. Sounds really good IMO, and the entire setup is “out of the way”- his hands won’t hit any of it while playing, and it fits in the case no prob. Easy job. (will add more info if the player decides to change anything after some play time.

richter4208