Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,161

Giggity

BrettN
  • MondoslugMondoslug New

Great stuff DC. Thanks for posting.

BrettN

I put it in Soundslice and this is what I heard. I double and triple checked against the album recording and sounds accurate to me. Basically once he starts the descending chromatics on C# on A string, it is chromatic all the way to the C# on high E.

@V-dub , I'm a little surprised to hear you say that. Not really my place to pep talk but I guess I'm doing it... I mean you're super good guitar player. I certainly see you as more accomplished than myself. But even if it's challenging at the time, why walk away? If you're just not interested any longer that's one thing and that's fine. But otherwise, step away, let the work you put in simmer and then come back to it whenever you think of it and work on it some more. Then repeat the process until it's there and it will get there. By the way, I always wondered, is your user name a reference to Volkswagen?

This is my thinking and I really believe in it: most of us here or any relatively experienced guitar player can play 2-3 notes chunks of anything virtuosic out there at that given tempo. So it's about the goals, not about the abilities. If you can play 2, 3, 4 notes then you can play the whole piece if you're willing to put in the time (and if you can come up with the time required and sometimes we just can't). And yes maybe you find getting it up to tempo is just too much, so take it down a notch or two or three. It can still be satisfying to perform and listen to.

I'm definitively gonna learn this tune, it's super pretty. It was familiar when I heard it but not really on my radar so thanks for getting me into in Brett.

vanmalmsteenBrettNrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,457

To clarify, I think dennis was saying it's the fake scale in the rehearsal vid. It definitely sounds like real chromatic scale in the album recording.

I guess even with the string crossings he's picking every note, which is pretty difficult at this speed, but that's Stochelo. It's kind of a shame that Ivan has panned the camera away and onto Nousche, just at the critical moment 😄

In the rehearsal vid he may have also missed the "landing pad"? The end note sounds one fret too high there

BrettN
  • BrettNBrettN New

To Dennis and Buco- thanks so much guys- you’ve just gone above and beyond! I’m truly grateful!

thanks to everyone else too… time to get cracking again!

😄

Buco

I mean I myself got was Dennis was saying, I figured I'd do the soundslice as a supplement of sorts.

Dennis, that was golden by the way. Especially the parts with positional shifts. And your chromatic run explanation didn't leave a single question unanswered.

By the way, Brett, these waltzes are traditionally meant to be played as composed but you take three versions by three different performers and they probably not going to be the same. So during difficult passages, it's ok to take artistic liberty and adapt to yourself.

littlemarkBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BrettNBrettN New

Too true Buco. I have the Matelot Ferret CD on order from the US now- can’t wait to hear some more waltzes…I just love them.

hope you enjoy finishing learning Choti 😀

Buco

B section still left, hopefully I'll tackle it tonight.

By the way I didn't pull out this half to tempo method from my behind. There's a study done and it showed it is as effective or more than gradually increasing. They're both valid. But I personally feel if I didn't force myself to tackle fast bits, I'd likely never reach that point if I was going little by little.

To add more on what I wrote about that, small chunks at performance tempo and it's ok to pause between the chunks. Chunk, take a breath, next chunk etc. It won't take long to connect them. Some call this jagged practice.

• BrettNBrettN New

Sure- That’s pretty much how I’ve been doing unconsciously anyway Buco- it’s been a problem of stamina really for me to get through the lick at the proper speed. All 5 seconds of it!! Lol. Can’t believe I just wrote that!

your Soundslice and tab corrected my note choice though- I was playing a G not after the A, G# when descending, which was not correct. I’ll adapt this and get cracking again. As I mentioned I’m new to GJ and I’ve got soooooo much to work on. Got to stop dreaming about a Barault now, or an AJL, or a Dupont or an Eimers ….. and getting practicing!,,

take care sir 😀

Buco