DjangoBooks.com

Let's do a Djangobooks colab

Comments

I wasn't aware of a missing section of J'attendrai. I'll have to look at it. Same thing with After you've gone. There's a beautiful opening melody which gives the song an incredible lift once it goes to the section most people are familiar with. It is a shame things like that aren't heard more often. Although it's much more practical at a jam to omit these opening stanzas (needed to look this one up :) ).

Needles to say, every forum member is welcome. If Robin did it with over 50 people, we can too.

Been wondering how long to wait so everyone will see this but checking in on the forum only occasionally?

One way to do it, is to just let things take its natural course: choose a song, decide on basic arrangement and start working on rhythm tracks and bass. By the time time we get to solos and putting the whole thing together, it'll probably take about a month. That'll be plenty of time for most people to see this and jump in if they choose so.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • gitane007gitane007 IrelandNew

I love the sound of this but i have no idea how you would edit all the tracks and video together without driving yourself completely mad. It sounds like it needs someone who really knows what they're doing in that dept.

Buco
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    edited September 2021 Posts: 666

If I may make a suggestion or two about process -

Having done a few people in boxes vids this year. . .

Rhythm guitar starts off - we decide chords, intro outro, chorus #, and how many soloists for how long. Bass follows; after each soloist lays their part on top, then all is edited by someone with some skills.

One other thought: It might be worth our while to divide this into several teams - smaller groups on each song rather then an eternal progression of soloists.

Happy again to provide rhythm or bass for any song you all wanna do.

B

rudolfochristBucoWillie
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@Buco You can hear the "missing section" here in Tino Rossi's version. Instead of playing it at the front of the song as depicted in Willie's sheet music, it is in the middle, between ~1:14-1:49. There is another version by Rina Ketty that uses a similar arrangement. I don't have enough familiarity with other versions to know if some play that part at the beginning. Almost feel like these posts should be a separate thread, not related to the collab.

BucoWillie
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,454

@Willie Dang, that night and day.. it's the second time that I had thought Django created some inspired intro, but he was actually just playing the verse. The other time was When Day is Done.

Embarrassing! 😄

Willierudolfochrist

I'd need somebody to take care of the video portion. Especially if some people would rather just record audio and then during their portion of the performance, the video does something. It's not even that I mind doing. I'd get buy a software, I kinda need a video editor anyway. But the size of the file would gobble up my laptop's memory and it would be a crawling process.

Audio, on the other hand, shouldn't be a big deal to put it together and do a basic mix.

As @bbwood_98 outlined, that's what I've done in the past. We would create a "roadmap" then I'd record a rhythm with a click track. Keeping time is crucial here. Then the followed by soloists. Once there's a first solid rhythm track, we can add more based on the first.

We'll see how it goes and if it needs to be split up into more smaller projects. On one hand, you don't want to put your listeners through 15 minutes of soloing. On the other, that's kinda what's fun about it, creating these epic sessions.

bbwood_98

@billyshakes I agree. I don't mind and actually appreciate when discussions on forum take several directions. But this time we should keep focus on this project. I'd like to hear about more songs that are part of jazz and gypsy jazz repertoire which they they have these lost verses originally.

So any moderator, can we split this discussion off to a new thread?

And yes, those Night and Day intros are exactly what Django does, especially the version with Fred Astaire. Was never aware of that.

To further muddle things up, really nice example of After You've Gone with this intro verse is with Fiona Apple

Willie
  • BonesBones Moderator

Great idea Buco. We r in the process of moving right now so all I can record on is iPhone since my son's studio is all boxed up.

Buco

That'll be fine. With everyone that plans on doing phone only recording, I'll split off the audio so I can mix it separately.

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

Sounds fun. I would be happy to do sthg with my clarinet (time and skills permitting)

rudolfochristBucobillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsWillieAndyW