DjangoBooks.com

Let's do a Djangobooks colab

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

@billyshakes and @Buco: we surely shoudn't record stanza-refrain-stanza-refrain .. and so on. But provided that we do "J'attendrai", I could imagine to start with the vocal first stanza, maybe as a rubato intro, then the vocal refrain in the chosen tempo, then soli, and at the end the vocal second stanza and refrain with somebody soloing to it.

I think, stanzas, prefaces and intros are of substantial need to help the listener into songs (isn't that why the composers wrote them?), be it instrumental or vocal. And if you prepare your instrumental solo, and you are aware not only of the mere changes and the soli done by the masters of the genre, but of the original compositions, the lyrics and the background of the songs too, you can let yourself be inspired by those fascinating different levels of atmospheres and meanings .

As a singer, I take the songs I perform not only because of the music. "J'attendrai" has World War II as background. After the Nazis took France, the lyrics were not only understood as waiting for the missing lover like in the years since the first recordings, but for the end of the occupation. A similar thing with "Seul ce soir"; here the subtext meant the grief because the beloved was a prisoner of war.

But whatever songs and arrangements will be chosen: the idea of the project is so fine, and I'm so excited about i's growing and results, that I would even survive listening to tunes without intros ... 😢😉

Buco
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 4,730

Looks like J'attendrai is leading. So for the sake of continuing, shall we say that's our chosen song (hopefully more to come, with your own melody over Django standard @Lango-Django).

Then, how about this:

We combine Django version with the vocal version @billyshakes linked?

Open with Django etude (I'd love to learn and play this, always wanted to but if somebody has it down cold, take it).

Followed by clarinet? (Don't think we have violin as of now...) @AndyW and @PapsPier do you think it would work if you both played violin part on clarinet? Or split it up? You should both take part.

Then wall of rhythm guitar plays the song intro that 1625.

Then another wall of my instruments plays the melody, as straight as can be so it's together.

Then vocals stanza, main vocals. Maybe duet? @Willie ? Do we have a female vocal for duet?

Then solos.

Then, melody out all together: vocals and instruments (this is where it could turn sour but we can try) New Orleans style.

Then internet erupts.

Willie
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 4,730

• gitane007gitane007 IrelandNew

Wow .............sounds "mammoth". Would the solo's work if everyone just did 16 bars so then its like quick trades ?

Buco

Yeah, that's tricky. 16 bars could work for one person but then the next person would have 10 bars to wrap it up by the top of the form so the next person can start at the top. Otherwise I'm afraid it would get incredibly confusing and not sure if it would work musically. So either everyone gets the whole form or it's split into 16 then 10 bars. I see either working.

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

The way we handle it in my trio, when it comes to trades, is this: the first soloist takes the 1st 8 bars, the 2nd one takes the next 8 bars, then the 1st soloist takes the last 8 bars, plus those last 2 extra bars. If we have only 2 or 3 soloists on this project, each could solo over the entire form. But if we end up with a bunch, as I suspect we might, my suggestion would be to split it into sections like that.

BucoWillie

That would work. Only, then it becomes trading solos. Which, for 2-3 people is fun. For a bunch of people soloing, it's like "hey I was a part of this cool project. But don't blink!" We'll see how many people we have interested in soloing in a few more days.

And I want to make it clear, I don't want to call the shots on this project. I'll try to take it where I feel it's going and people aren't vocal. Which in the end may make me a guy calling the shots... But anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, please let everyone know.

If you feel we should do a different tune all together, put votes, likes, suggestions in the other thread.

WilliebillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I doubt I could play violin, my fiddles are lying gathering dust, unplayed.

I’ll post something on clarinet or tenor sax🎷, for a bit of variety- nobody needs to hear my guitar playing🥸

I’d be tempted to do the same tracks as Robin’s club has , in the spirit of “healthy competition”....

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I’d be tempted to do the same tracks as Robin’s club has , in the spirit of “healthy competition”....

Now THAT would be a fun competition....although there may be some members here who are members of both groups.