DjangoBooks.com

Which pickup(s) for my Dell'Arte Hommage?

Comments

They actually can have a footswitch like Baggs Venue model which has a switchable boost. Some people like that when they take solos.

Also a premap with dual input might be useful to blend sound from two sources, mic/magnetic pickup etc.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited August 2022 Posts: 636

I have also been happy with the Kleio47. Easy to mount, feedback resistant and its handy to have the accessible volume knob.

I'm ok with it's sound in jam settings and haven't used a preamp.

Here's Stephane Wrembel using one

richter4208Buco
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Posts: 522

Yes, the Kleio or the bigtone. I think the bigtone is technically a better option but kinda expensive installed. It is cleaner and and less colored sounding than the Kleio. The Kleio is a cheaper option tho and really easy to slide on and off a selmer.

all my gigs have been with the Kleio in the last couple years

dellartehommage2005BillDaCostaWilliams
  • dellartehommage2005dellartehommage2005 Northwest NJNew

I think I'm leaning towards the Kleio just because of how easy it is to install. Any obvious advantage to the Kleio 51 over the 47? I don't see how a separate volume control warrants extra money.

Do you have any opinions on the "Yves Guen Original Pickup ST48" or the "ST51 (monkey on a stick)"?

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

I'm surprised how unmagnetic Wrembel's rig sounds--maybe because the band environment is so busy that it's hard to hear the subtleties of the guitar's voice, but I think I'm hearing the characteristic "doink" of a Selmer-style's low end (as distinct from the round/sweet low register of a classic mag-equipped archtop). It certainly is far from the sound of Django's electric recordings (despite what the website's descriptive copy says). Too bad it can't be installed on a grande bouche.

dellartehommage2005

Which pickup cannot be installed on a grande bouche?

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Which pickup cannot be installed on a grande bouche?

Kleio 47 as there isn't enough space available on the top for it to be clipped on.

I think other Stimer type models have the same limitation.

The Kleio 52 should be ok for grande bouche, I believe.

No way glad I asked! And I guess you meant the Kleio 51 would be okay for the grande bouche? I was just going to ask that. Thanks!

Does anyone here have any experience with the "Carlos VIP DM + CS 'Gypsy'"? It looks like a great option for the flexibility of the placement and can be easily installed.

I'd love to know if anyone has any experience with how it sounds because it's not cheap.

• flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

Stephane uses the Ischell (you can see the telltale white putty around the contact mic behind the bridge) in addition to the magnetic pickup. He had been using the Peche, so I'm curious as to why he switched to the Kleio. So what you hear in that clip may be just the Ischell or else the Ischell and magnetic pickup together.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams