DjangoBooks.com

Which pickup(s) for my Dell'Arte Hommage?

Comments

And Stephane is also using a boost while soloing (you can see him hitting a floor switch when he stopped soloing) plus for his sound he needs a two input premap to blend the two sources. I wanted to try that, since I have all the gear but it always seemed like too much spaghetti around me. I use Jokko's Manouche mic majority of the time and once in awhile I have an itch for magnetic sound through the tube amp so then I use Krivo.

BillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@dellartehommage2005 I love my Kleio47, but beware that pickup location, height and angle have HUGE impact (far more than Kleio 47 vs Peche A la Mouche, etc.) The amp will be the next most important thing. When you have an electric pickup, your guitar doesn't matter for tone, only playability. Definitely try before you buy if you can.

I've heard the Carlos VIP system and it sounds great. In my opinion it's the most flexible for live playing (being able to blend, or even turn off a pickup due to feedback). My only concern is the 9volt - not sure if the contact pick-up can work alone passively if a 9v goes dead in the middle of the performance.

Adding a preamp with filtering availability like others have mentioned here will help you get significantly better acoustic sounding tone vs without a preamp.

Mics are king of tone, but the most feedback prone. That's why having one inside, and the ability to blend makes the CS VIP system sound great. I just hate the look of the Velcro mount, don't like having to also have 9volts, and am not really to drill holes in my main gigging guitar.

dellartehommage2005
  • dellartehommage2005dellartehommage2005 Northwest NJNew
    edited August 2022 Posts: 28

Thanks so much for this great info. I actually reached out to the guy that makes the Kleio 47/51 and he told me he does not recommend either for a D-hole guitar. I appreciated his honesty but I will not be purchasing one of those, unfortunately.

If mic's are more feedback-sensitive I am wary of using one. I saw the Ischell X48 (and Inside Box) both say that they're very feedback resistant microphones and I saw Stephane Wrembel uses them. I am also considering the Geronimo Mateos L.C. Pickup.

Are you saying the Carlos VIP requires drilling? I thought it was an easy mount with just sticking it to the guitar.

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

If you want acoustic tone, the Ischell is a good option. Also, DPA mics are great. Put either or both of those through a preamp with good notch filtering and you should be set for most situations without altering your guitar. Add a mag pickup and you have all bases covered. I personally use a De'Armond guitar mike when I need/want a magnetic pickup sound but the Peche a la Mouche is a great one and is a lot easier to install/remove and has a slimer profile. I've been curious about the Kleio models but haven't had the chance to try one.

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

I don't have a ton to add but the mention of the LC pickup and an earlier mention of volume knob compelled me to give my two cents. The LC pickup sounds awesome, and I've used it in various settings and on a lot of different amps. It doesn't sound very acoustic, like some internal mics or a piezo might, but in my experience that's not a bad thing at all. Especially when it comes to versatility. My only gripe is the lack of a volume control! Especially when playing with an amp, it's sooo nice to be able to roll volume back for certain tones/songs/settings. I guess that could be fixed by adding a volume pedal to your rig, but that's just another thing to buy and lug around if you're ok with that.

Otherwise they are super easy to use, but sometimes fishing for the cable inside the guitar can be fun if it falls out of the clip. I don't like the thin sound of a lot of mics/pickups that fit these guitars and you definitely don't get that with the Mateos system.

Re volume control, @vdub builds them, volume only or volume/tone. But they're easy to build yourself too.

dellartehommage2005
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 4,750

You could, run a short cable from the output jack of LC (if the output jack is mounted on the tailpiece) to the input on the volume control box. Pictures on his site show it with 1/8" mini input and also hardwired so I'd check with Vic about the options. Since the LC pickup is meant to have its jack mounted on the tailpiece hole, I'd imagine you could skip that and take its cable outside of the soundhole and to the volume control, just like pictures show with the Krivo and DeArmond.

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

The pins on the LC would need to be cut and an 1/8" added in place but that wouldn't be a challenge. Might not look the best though, the wire coming off the pickup would need to be spliced to add length.

Ah okay I'm sure it's not that hard to do but I'm a simple man haha I think I'm leaning towards either the Ischell or the Benedetti Mini Humbucker Pickup System.

I see the Ischell X48 needs phantom power. Does that means it basically needs to be plugged into a preamp?