DjangoBooks.com

Cigano GJ-10 in Superior Deluxe Gypsy Jazz Case...doesn't fit!

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited March 20 Posts: 1,457

That does seem an abnormally high bridge for a GJ-10. How is the action? Is the break angle of the neck alright?

I dislike those superior cases (too heavy) and would recommend a gig bag. Actually Cigano are so cheap that even a paper bag would do, or just wrap it up in some old newspapers 😉

Make sure the gig bag straps are sturdily sewn onto the bag! The ones with removal straps that have little metal or plastic ring clips on them fatigue and snap/break off eventually, which can be really bad in some situations (like when you're riding a bike).

jonpowl
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

@wim Ciganos aren't so cheap anymore. The GJ-10 is retailing at $999 on this site. I like mine that I purchased on Craigslist about 9 years ago for just under $300. It was made in 2008 and is good for leaving on the stand, travel and lending to friends. It is a nice value for what I paid, not sure about $999.

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

Just pad the inside of the gig bag with some airfoam.it’s going to be well protected enough.

If it is the original bridge, it was shimmed because the top has sunked. So, overall the dimensions are still the same..

Funny enough, I just got the guitar for $250 on Kijiji so I'm not expecting much and I'm trying not to spend much on this. That said, the neck has a fairly deep bow to it (compared to my other acoustics) and when it gets to the body, the neck part on the body is straight. if I use a ruler to the bridge, the bridge is higher than the frets. So, I have no doubt that the bridge has been raised to to accommodate the body joint hump in the neck. But even the amount that the bridge has been raised doesn't account for the difference in the case fit.

The guitar measures 4" at the lower bout purfling. the back and top both arches out about 1/2" making the center 4.4" thick. Are the front and back supposed to be arched so much?

I know I can put an end to this by just getting a soft case and get on with it but it bugs me that I can't figure out where the issue is. I'm assuming the case is correct so it's the guitar.

Here is a picture of the case with the lid resting on the guitar. Technically, I can close it but definitely there is pressure on the guitar even with the foam. If the case lid just came down to meet the bottom (about a 1/8th" gap) I'd probably keep the case but the top actually overlaps the lower case which is another 3/8th".

I'm always looking to upgrade but these guitars aren't common in Canada. How does the Cigano Gj-10 compare to the Altamira model M: https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/altamira-model-m or an Eastsman DM1. The Eastman is probably the most common Gypsy guitar I've seem available in Canada.

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

When this happened to me before, what I did was, I put white paper over the total lenght of the guitar. From the headstock to the end of the body. And then I closed the case. Forcing it. Then I opened the case slowly so the papers stayed in place and I saw exactly where the contact was.....

So I took an x-acto and I carved the inside of the top ( of the case 🙂 ) and voilà.

Then I went back practicing

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesBuco
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Slightly off-topic, but if the neck is bowed too much, you should have someone adjust the truss rod (assuming there is one). That would also lower the action and the bridge could be reduced in height.

Buco

What @guitarmike said, if you like the case, just slice the padding where it touches the bridge.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Rather than cut it up, I'll just return the case and get a gig bag with a neck support.

Regarding the neck, I think the top, under the bridge, is sunken in as it looks relatively flat compared to the area of the top with the sound hole and towards the neck. This part is quite rounded. So I think this combo of top geometry warranted the shimmed bridge.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input and advice.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Can you photograph the guitar a bit more for us please? Let's see it from the side to see the sunken top and the top/bombe where the bridge sits, plus the angle of the neck into the body.

• murrayatuptowngallermurrayatuptowngaller Holland, MINew Quinteros 2023 Di Mauro Chorus variant, Gibson 1956 ES-135, The Loar LH350VS

I see a little end gap below the straightedge by the mustache point.

Mie has a bit of that but front to rear instead of side-to-side, which strikes me as uncool.

I'll see how brave (or dim-witted) I feel after loosening the bridge tension.