DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Amplification/Pickup System Overview

15678911»

Comments

• jazzfanjazzfan New

Hi, I have the Geronomo Matteos Audrey with simple magnetic pickup that was included. Will the AER Alpha or any other small AER get the job done for small gigs with a decent sound?

Thanks!

• jazzfanjazzfan New

Lots of variables, but a good amp with good sound.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@jazzfan With that I might think about a mid sized tube amp as well - It would sound good through my ampeg J-12T, but the alpha should work well (unless we are talking loads of horns and drums- then depending on their sensitivity you might need more power/air movement/juice/volume/whatever you want to call it).

Good luck.

• jazzfanjazzfan New

Thanks for your comments!

I actually like the sound of the jazzkat gypsykat, but these amps are not manufactured anymore.

Does anybody know where to get one used to ship for Germany?

Or do you know an amp that us similar soundwise?

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen anyone doing this but I've thought about the following setup as being potentially ideal. (especially for for "acoustic" sounds rather than 40s/50's django).

An acoustic preamp with high degree of eq available. This one to be exact.

into some king of powered speaker like this. Could really be anything including the effect return of an AER

Don't really love the front end of the AER much. I end up wanting to use something to affect it. Lately I've been plugging my vox pathfinder into the effect return of the AER so I've got the preamp of the Vox combined with the power of the aer. Absolutely ridiculous setup for the bars I'm playing. It's like a half stack of mini amps to produce a sound I like.

I was thinking the Alix preamp into the powered speaker might make me want to try to use my DPA mic at more intimate gigs to try to get a more pure acoustic sound. Just don't like the DPA into the AER......the eq doesn't sound good to me.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@richter4208 While I don't dissagree with you about the DPA into an AER (I usually play through and acoustic image, and there is some feedback issues, but it can often be solved with placement of mic and amp . . . ). however, I have been using another players AER at a gig - we share the one amp for ease of use; and it seems to work - and sounds pretty ok actually. . .

I have a F hole gypsy style, and use a violin mount to put the mic close to the lower F. . . Thud-y but with treb/mid as well.

Also, I basically only play rhtyhm . . .

richter4208
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited July 2021 Posts: 187

@richter4208 I've used a single K12.2 for jazz trio gigs where I also needed to MC (mic input) or such. Overkill for bar gigs.