DjangoBooks.com

Bireli lick

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited July 2013 in Technique Posts: 2,159
I got this from the live a vienne DVD, he plays it on Viper's Dream. i'm told the lick comes from pat martino ... maybe some confirm this ...

anyway here it is.... i notated it as quarter notes, but you can apply different note values to it... ie quarter note triplets....

he uses the first line over a C chord, and the second line over an F7 going to C... both lines can be used indepedently

b1.GIF

b2.GIF

Comments

awesome, thanks dennis, this one is crazy soundin'
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    dennis wrote:
    I got this from the live a vienne DVD, he plays it on Viper's Dream. i'm told the lick comes from pat martino ... maybe some confirm this ...

Dennis
    Just spotted this
    I think the idea comes from a Pat martino practice regime where he practices large interval leaps by dividing scales into octave(or sixths) leaps--its fun to do!.......and a great workout for the right hand
    Cheers
    Stu
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Thanks for another great lick transcription, Dennis; do you know if there is a way to print the licks you've posted in this section of the Djangobooks
    Forum? I can't figure out how to do it....

Charlie
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i was looking at the Nuages transcription and Bireli does this lick in that also... im not sure where i got the powertab but it is around somewhere...
  • keary18keary18 Jackson, MS✭✭✭✭
    thanks Dennis, I have watched that so many times in awe,
    David
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    Dennis, do you have fingering and picking guidelines? Since every note is on a different string than the preceding one, should I use straight rest stroke and use only downstrokes?
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    from memory, i think bireli does only downstrokes... not necessarily reststrokes... i've seen others do it with alternate picking as well
  • BonesBones Moderator
    The charts don't show up on my computer.

Are you refering to the scale/interval thing that Bireli does on the last chorus of his solo on Viper?

BTW, I am enjoying your new rhythm dvd. Thanks. Can't wait for Michael's new book.
  • Wayne DevineWayne Devine London
    Hey everyone. I can't see any licks only text. In the place of the licks is
    a blank white square with an X what do I need to do to see them. This is
    only happening on the first few Birei Lick to Can't give you anything but.

Please can anyone shed should light.

:roll:
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Dennis moved those images somewhere else....

Dennis, can you provide the new locations?

thanks,

'm