DjangoBooks.com

Bireli lick

Comments

• kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    HI Bones, Well, I delved into VLC and found that you can also slow down a video in VLC. The "playback" pull down gives you the options of "slower" and "faster".

I'm trying to learn 'entre amis' and going to give it a whirl. Don't know if it'll be in pitch but at least I'll be able to suss what Angelo's lighting fast fingers are doing. I should figure out how to slow down audio in Logic Pro whilst keeping it in pitch for figuring out the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW7XM3uMmAo
    IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

Just reporting that I was able to first use Handbrake to extract the song from my DVD and then I opened the file in VLC. Under the 'playback' drop-down menu there is a slider for speed and when the speed is slowed down it keeps the pitch. This is awesome!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Kev,

Does 'Handbrake' work on a PC? Maybe I can try that to extract Viper's Dream from the Bireli DVD and then play it back on VLC or windows media player...

thanks
    Bones wrote:
    Hey Kev,

Does 'Handbrake' work on a PC? Maybe I can try that to extract Viper's Dream from the Bireli DVD and then play it back on VLC or windows media player...

thanks

Here's the PC version of Handbrake. It works very well (and it's very free!).

http://download.cnet.com/HandBrake/3000-2194_4-10808250.html
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Handbrake and VLC are great programs. I don't know how I'd get by without them.

Another good one is "All-2-mp3" which is a dead simple program for batch conversion of various audio formats to mp3.

Audacity is good too; it's an audio editor. I really miss CoolEdit-Pro, but Audacity gives you 90% of CoolEdit and is much easier than mastering Pro Tools.

Probably the best practice tool I've seen though, is Adrian Holovaty's new project - soundslice. It's the best "turn a video into a practice tool" software I've ever seen.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    i'm having some difficulty using soundslice trying to fit the tabs over the sound directly, so i was wondering if there is any kind of guitar that i might be able to hook up to a computer to go directly from the guitar into a program to produce a tab? i guess the guitar would have to have some kind of way of sensing where the note is played (open E vs 5th fret B string).

i guess it might just be a dream, but i figured i'd ask! i'd really love to make some tabs of django solos with only 2 fingers, but even with soundslice it takes me 20-30 minutes to tab out several seconds of a solo.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    i'm having some difficulty using soundslice trying to fit the tabs over the sound directly

Hey Rob,

Here's a Soundslice tip for faster transcription:

1. Change the video to half speed to get better precision.

2. Populate a chord track using the "tap to annotate" feature.

3. Then, create a separate tab track. For the individual tab notes, do one chord's worth at a time: create an annotation that's the length of the chord, then use annotation splitting (see soundslice.com/help) to get evenly spaced annotations, and delete the ones that aren't actual notes.

Basically, "tap to annotate" plus annotation splitting is the way to go. I'm able to transcribe very quickly using this method -- takes me a minute or so to do a few seconds' worth of soloing. Feel free to reach out with any questions/feedback (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->).

Also, there's nothing requiring you to create the tab on Soundslice -- you can still use it to loop/slow-down without actually annotating. If you use it to learn a lick/solo, the benefits of annotating are that (1) you can come back to it later if you forget it and (2) other people benefit from your work -- but if you're the type of person who can remember licks well, you don't need to annotate. Hope that makes sense.

Adrian
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Adrian,

I do a lot of transcribing and I'd like to start using soundslice once I replace this crappy, old computer.

When you do a transcription can you save the file to your own computer or is it just saved on the server for the soundslice webpage?

thanks

Hey Kev,

I downloaded handbrake and it appears to be working but my file is all jerky and 'pixelated'. not sure if it is my old computer or if I need to change some settings in handbrake. I just used the default settings except for the output location.

thanks again
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Bones wrote:
    When you do a transcription can you save the file to your own computer or is it just saved on the server for the soundslice webpage?

It's only saved on the server for now, but I'm going to add a way to export files, likely in Guitar Pro format, text and/or PDF. Stay tuned...

Adrian
    Bones wrote:
    Hi Adrian,
    Hey Kev,

I downloaded handbrake and it appears to be working but my file is all jerky and 'pixelated'. not sure if it is my old computer or if I need to change some settings in handbrake. I just used the default settings except for the output location.

thanks again

You can sample down the clip you are extracting and check out the 'preview'. Maybe it is because the data is too media rich for your processor. I didn't experience any defects and I chose the biggest size I could use.